Author Topic: Potato Storage (Potato Pie)  (Read 1377 times)

Zoglet

• Half Acre
Potato Storage (Potato Pie)
« on: August 24, 2008, 09:01:19 »
Hi

I have a lot of potatoes and assuming the blight, which is busy raging through my tomatoes, spares the spuds, I should have far more pots than I can store in my meagre apartment.

I remember hearing some time ago about a method of storing spuds using sand / straw by creating a mound. However, what I remember is sketchy at best. I think it might be called a "potato pie". I was wondering if any of the good people on A4A would know more details about this? Has anyone tried it, is it a good solution? Possible drawbacks? How is it done? etc.

Thanks in advance

Z
Got first allotment 24//4/06 - so much to do!

delboy

• Acre
Re: Potato Storage (Potato Pie)
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 09:38:51 »
It would seem to be a clamp.

Major problems with clamps could well be that when you burrow into it to find spuds, you cause too much damage to the clamp..

..also, with all the blight you are talking about, you wouldn't be able to see how the potatoes are doing in a clamp, and could end up with rampant rots etc.

I've been using newspaper lined filing cabinets and a chest of drawers - they are dark and keep the mice and rats out.
What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 09:39:35 »
Also known as clamping... if any are "blighted" you would know about it as it would spread. Never done it myself Zoglet so I'll let someone else explain how to do it. Or you could do a search on "Clamping Potaotes".  :-\

Zoglet

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 16:58:59 »
Thanks chaps, I found a useful post on it on the net. Not sure if I will try it yet. If I do, I will post my results.

Thanks again

Z
Got first allotment 24//4/06 - so much to do!

bornagainvirgin1

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 18:09:43 »
I have just harvested a lot of potatoes too. I have been told to put them in old biscuit tins layered with newspaper then kept in a cool dark place. I have done this after washing the dirt from the spuds and drying them. Does anyone else do this? What is the outcome? I will store some in my shed in some baskets that I have covered in newspaper. I will have to watch where I put them as mice got in last year and nibbled a few. I am not happy about trying the clamp thing. I hope what I am doing will be alright. ???

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 22:41:43 »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D Welcome Bornagainvirgin..........great name!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Enjoy the site ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal