Author Topic: Rotovator / Cultivator  (Read 6026 times)

Cool Carrot

• Not So New ...
  • Eat Me !!  I Know You Want To !!
Rotovator / Cultivator
« on: August 11, 2004, 15:59:51 »
Hi

Does anyone know where I can get a rotovator / cultivator from been looking on ebay  but they all tend to be for sale down south & I live up in West Yorkshire, Ive been to my local garden centers & they don't stock them. I am after one of them 6 geared one the heavy duty type.

Regards
CC ???
« Last Edit: August 11, 2004, 17:48:00 by Cool Carrot »
And it's good by from the Cool Carrot.

Pixie

• Acre
  • Chorlton the magical happiness dragon
Re:Rotovator / Cultivator
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2004, 16:13:23 »
Hi CC

I managed to hire one for the weekend - not the cheepest way to do it but it was the easiest they dropped it off on the Friday Morning and picked it up sometime on the Monday. I think it was about £30.00 for the whole weekend - if there are others who need it on your lottie site you could always split the cost and have it for a day each  :)

Easy peasey
Sam
"Jump in, we'll take you for a spin, and show you round the Wheelie World..."

Cool Carrot

• Not So New ...
  • Eat Me !!  I Know You Want To !!
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2004, 17:50:06 »
Hi Pixie

I was looking to buy one as I got quoted £50 for the weekend that inc delivery, hire one 3 or 4 times & you could buy one.

CC ???
And it's good by from the Cool Carrot.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2004, 18:28:04 »
By the time you've serviced a 2nd hand one, had it fail, & had to order spare parts at ? price ?? Difficult choice! = Tim

Pixie

• Acre
  • Chorlton the magical happiness dragon
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2004, 14:48:45 »
I know they are not cheap.

I don't know if you have a lottie, but try the local allotment groups to see if they would be interested in all clubbing together to buy one if they are working out pricey or if they already have one would they be interested in hiring one to you.

Other idea is put an ad in the local free paper in the wanted section - some people have them just rotting away in the shed and don't realise that they are wanted.

Hope this helps
Sam

"Jump in, we'll take you for a spin, and show you round the Wheelie World..."

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2004, 15:04:58 »
Do any of the other lottie holders have a rotovator/cultivator?  

Several of the older hands on my plot do and for the price of a can of petrol & a couple of pints they'll turn over my plot for me.

Far cheaper than the £55 I saw in one garden centre for a new one.

CC
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2004, 06:34:11 »
Just saw an interesting thing about rotovating - did I say this elsewhere? - that worms don't like it. Not hard to understand!

No wonder that we're short of them. But too old to dig. = Tim

TrailRat

• Half Acre
  • I like the feel of dirt in my teeth
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2004, 08:34:06 »
If only you and I had been around two months ago CC. I dismantled a petrol cultivator for a gennie I was building. I picked my one up for free at the local tip. It needed a little work but I goes like a gooden. Got the rest of the parts somewhere, lying in the workshops junk pile.

TrailRat
If it weren't for beer and sex than cycling would be the best thing in the world.

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2004, 21:07:40 »
Just my 2p worth of rotovatars. (Bear in mind I am a farmers son and hold a degree an Agricultural Technology Management).

They can do a good job when used correctly but please do not over do it. Soil needs structure, plants need soil structure even more.

A fine tilth is the not the be all and end all choice. Soil needs a structure to offer the plants the best growing environment. Too much rotovating can beat the hell out of the soil. It may look great, no lumps or clods and smooth as a billiard table but the plants wont thank you for it. Too fine and the soil dries out very quickly, heavy rain followed by sun can create a very hard surface layer that seedlings cannot break through.

I use a rotovator from time to time, mainly if the weather is making me get behind schedule other wise I would far rather use a fork and dig. Better exercise, better control. You get to see what your soil looks like and you can control the weeds far better.

The mechanical means are great but please do not rely on them.

HTH

Jerry

Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2004, 23:02:02 »
I love to dig, me and my fork are chums, but the chaps at the plot, one in particlar, rotovates ever visit!  His soil is now like sand and it does actually blow in the wind!  :o  I agree with Jerry, don't over do it or you will end up with a dust bowl full of stones and not much else!

DocAlgae

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2004, 08:36:13 »
Okay, so I'm hearing that rotovating is not a good idea, but I've just started my (very overgrown) plot and could do with some advice on this!  We're marking the plot into beds and using the existing grass as pathways (3m by 2m beds).  So far we've taken the turf off two beds, and that nearly killed us.  We have another 12 to do.  After that we'll have to dig over the beds - would using a rotovator here be okay do you think?

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2004, 09:45:14 »
I'm not & I don't, 89, but I do agree.

Pity is that I relied on a machine when I was away all weekdays for 14 years, & then was too lazy & later too old to dig. = Tim

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2004, 10:56:10 »
 So far we've taken the turf off two beds, and that nearly killed us.  We have another 12 to do.  After that we'll have to dig over the beds - would using a rotovator here be okay do you think?

Yes, that will be fine. It gets you over the hump of the work. All I am saying is do not over do it. Fine tilth may look wonderful but can be a nightmare to manage and the plants won't love you for it.

Tim, No worries. I can see a time when a machine will be needed by myself. At the moment though I try and stick to a good fork. My garden is my gymn. Digging has also helped my bad back no end after I messed it up big time 2 years ago, ambulance and sirens involved!

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2004, 11:34:42 »
Gymn? My ambulance came when I had been forking stuff onto the compost heap, at 40!! Sadly, digging doesn't help - just aggravates. Excuses, excuses!
Actually, it's the angle at which you wash up that is a real killer. = Tim

SORRY - 24/8 - GYM!!!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2004, 18:58:49 by tim »

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2004, 11:49:27 »
HI,
   Here is the way I would clear a neglected plot and rotovate it..
Firstly I would spray plot with glyphosphate or roundup etc,,.
Leave till all vegetation has died back.at least a few weeks..
Then clear it off ..
I would then rotovate the plot ...Here is where a lot make the mistake .It looks all nice and soft then..So they plant on it..
Don't be tempted leave for another 2 to 3 weeks and You will see a lot of seedlings appear  as in annual weeds etc...
Rotovate again turning these in, this  is the time to set  it..
Just to skim weeds off etc in a neglected plot and then rotovate is a mistake as all couch root, docs,bindweed root etc wil be broken up and eventually you will have a lot more growing than  you started with.
I also find that rotavators with the tines at front dig a lot deeper than the rear ones. A reverse gear also makes life a lot easier.
Jim.
Cheers .. Jim

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2004, 12:35:52 »
On a lighter vein - & strictly for those over a certain age :

Rotovator/ Cultivator   -  what comes next?  -  'The Ink Spots' - the early 40s? -  "waiter, waiter, per-co-lator - I love coffee, I love tea". = Tim
« Last Edit: August 23, 2004, 12:36:38 by tim »

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2004, 17:22:29 »
Hmmm ?          ???
Cheers .. Jim

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2004, 17:24:08 »
Too young!! = Tim

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2004, 23:13:23 »
something like "I love the Java Jive and it loves me".

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2004, 23:43:44 »
tim, let`s really fox them.  Do you remember (1940s) that little ditty..

Mairsy dotes and dozy dotes and little lambsy tivy;
A kiddly tivy too wooden chew.

(Translation for the younger members will be supplied on request)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2004, 23:45:23 by Hugh_Jones »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal