Author Topic: I'm redundant. At least I'll finish my digging I spose.  (Read 2637 times)

oakmore2

• Half Acre
  • Rabbit surveillance officer
I'm redundant. At least I'll finish my digging I spose.
« on: August 21, 2008, 21:57:07 »
Hello All

Even though I'm a newbie, I've been made to feel so welcome by you all it feels as though I should let you all know. Just arrived home from a meeting in our company's head office. Was told today that I'm going to be made redundant. Was half expecting it but still feel gutted, and really quite worried about the financial side of things.

Still, I suppose I'll get the other half of my plot dug now, and I can make my allotment look lovely and tidy.  :-\

It seems there's a lot of this redundancy rubbish around at the moment. Hope nobody else on A4A is facing the same thing (although wouldn't we all have great looking plots!! ;D).

glosterwomble

• Hectare
  • Gloucester - The South West
    • Fork it...a Gloucester allotment
Re: I'm redundant. At least I'll finish my digging I spose.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 22:08:35 »
Sorry to hear your news that you will be made redundant, as you say it will give you the chance to do lots of work at the plot!! Be positive, something will be just around the corner!!
View my blog on returning a totally
 overgrown plot in Gloucester
 into a productive allotment ... http://fork-in-hell.blogspot.com/

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 22:28:47 »
I am so sorry.What a misery for you.

My husband was made redundant two years ago after twenty years in the job.

There is an old saying .As one door shuts another one opens.

I have always found this to be true for me and hope it is the same for you. :)

Good Luck.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 22:36:41 »
Good luck Oakmore2, make the most of being able to work on the allotment, put in as much as you can for the winter/spring and you'll be glad of the homegrown veg when you need it.

THINK POSITIVE  ;) ;) ;)
The Tuscan Beaneater

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 23:16:57 »
I am so sorry to hear your news Oakmore and do hope something turns up for you soon.  Like others have said I am a great believer in one door shutting and another opening.  It's a good time of year (if there ever is one!!) there are lots of courses starting up in September, would you be able to sign up for something that might help in a new job, just to help pass the time and make sure you are out and about meeting people?

Whatever happens there are plenty of people here to chat to and keep you sane! ;)

Best of luck.

T.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 06:33:21 »
Set up a group of like people - there would be tappable will to work?

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 07:58:00 »
Hi, Oakmore.

My sympathy to you, I hope you soon solve the situation. As you say, it will give you am opportunity to get everything in order on the allotment, unless you are on heavy clay (like me) when the heavy rains prevent you doing anything. http://erowell.co.uk/Gardening/clay-soil.html

Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 08:03:02 »
Sorry to hear that, oakmore, it must be really worrying. My husband is self-employed and is getting no work at all at the moment. Thankfully he's got a part-time job as well, but we're having to pull our horns in while he looks for something full time. I work at CAB and the increase in debt enquiries is scary! Hope things are looking up for you soon.

oakmore2

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 14:36:20 »
Thanks everyone for being so kind and supportive. A4A is fantastic, a proper community.  :) I'm trying to stay pretty upbeat and am looking forward to spending the next couple of days on the lottie.

Putting together an action plan to try to find a new job. Fingers crossed!

xx
 :)

pippy

• Acre
  • North Notts Allotments!
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 14:55:04 »
I know how awful you must be feeling - it's a horrid thing to go through and you have my full sympathy.  I was made redundant when I was 6 months pregnant with my second child and I hardly slept for 3 months.  The advice I can give is this:

1)  Remember - its not personal, they are making YOUR JOB redundant, not you.  If you can keep on pleasant terms with them you never know what may come of it in the long term.
2)  Bone up on what you are entitled to - go to Citizens Advice etc and get the booklets so they can't fob you off with less than you should get financially.  This was a real pain for me as I had to read everything and contact tax offices and advice personnel several times to find out how my maternity payments should work in conjunction with redundancy.
3)  It sounds hollow now, but what doesn't kill you definitely does make you stronger.  You will sort out and pair down all your finances and monetary needs and you will find out who all your real friends are.  All this makes you a stronger person (and family unit) in the future.

... and dig that plot!  It will help no end I am sure.

Here's hoping you will soon be on the up and up again.  We'll all be willing it for you!  God Bless!
Leave only footprints, take only photographs ....

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 15:16:02 »
Sorry to hear that, but you are not redundant as you have an allotment which is a full time job.  I hope you can sort out any money worries and then just enjoy not working for a while.  I am retired, did look for another job when retired but no-one wanted me, and now I certainly don't want to work, unless it is voluntary and does not interfer with my hobbies.  Don't know your circumstances or age but try not to worry, enjoy a cup of tea in bed and get on the allotment.  It is very good therapy.

oakmore2

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 11:16:12 »
Thanks everyone for your messages of support. My allotment is starting to look much more organised and never have so many jobs at home been done and dusted in a few days!

I'll post some photos in a week or so once the lottie is looking organised and fabulous!

xxxx

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 17:59:15 »
Over the years mate I have been there three times being made redundant, dust your self down and get out there and get another job :)

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 19:34:02 »
Sorry to hear you news Oakmore, fingers crossed that you will find something soon  :-*

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2008, 20:43:52 »
Sorry to hear your news Oakmore - I always find my lottie is a great place for thinking - hopefully it will help you come up with a few ideas.  All the best, take care.
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2008, 18:41:07 »
One local company in our town made 30 people redundant this week it was on the cards being tied up with the building trade :(

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal