Author Topic: cmon, pull your socks up.  (Read 3122 times)

ACE

• Hectare
cmon, pull your socks up.
« on: August 11, 2008, 17:01:19 »
Well I would do but I'm having a bit of trouble. I notice some of you complaining about arthritis so you might have an answer. Well its got a bit worse in my knees and thigh lately. I'm alright when I'm up and I'm alright when I am down, it's the bit in the middle that makes me struggle.  Now tell me how the hell do you get your socks on. The left one is a  bugger to do, the right I can manage. Ive taken to wearing slip on sandals, but I cannot work in them so I wear velcro strapped boots and they need socks. Is there an easy way or even a gadget.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: cmon, pull your socks up.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 17:21:30 »
You might have some success with tights, or stockings? You'd look good in them!

I had to put my wife's dvt socks on for her after each of our children were born, seeing as they'd had to cut up her stomach muscles for the delivery... Then she moved on to doing them herself, lying on her side in bed... although I spose you've tried most positions.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 17:23:50 »
There are gadgets called sock pullers (no personal experience, just know of them). Have a google.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 19:15:11 »
ray hooks it on to his big toe and works it from there, on his worst days, I have to help him   ;D

LesH

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 20:02:00 »
  Hi Ace, when I had my hip replaced the physio gave me a device to get my socks on with. it worked very well just moments to get my sock on. after I got used to the thing. If your doc knows about your arthritis ask to see your district nurse and explain your problem. the device I had was a piece of hard plastic about nine inches square, but curved like a trowel (without the handle) you slide your sock up the plastic. the tightness of the sock made it into a "c shape". Slide your foot into the C. tapes are fastened to the top corners. pull the tapes and it pulles your sock up over your foot.
its quicker that typing this out.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 20:07:31 »
There is a gadget in the TEMPS catalogue XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

LesH

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 21:04:36 »

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 21:14:33 »
I reckon that is the gadget I need. A bit pricey though. So I'v just knocked one up from an empty plastic  bottle. cut in half and taped up with a bit of gaffer tap. Now all I need is some elastic. Hmm wonder where I can find some of that?

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 11:38:26 »
Are your socks loose at the top? It might help to snip some of the elastiic. Or even cut the top a bit and hem the raw edges so it doesn't shred in the wash
Hope your solution works for you. Aging is a challenge.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 14:46:04 »
Aging is a challenge.

Ooh you cheeky mare!

I ain't old, just worn out a bit. A bit of cutting and sanding perhaps a new ball joint, then I shall be ready for a new MOT.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 12:21:30 »
Aging is a challenge.

Ooh you cheeky mare!

I ain't old, just worn out a bit. A bit of cutting and sanding perhaps a new ball joint, then I shall be ready for a new MOT.
We have friends who put off getting a hip replacement but finally bit the bullet and were positively amazed at the pain relief AND getting their mobility back. One of the friends started crying when the nurse got her up and was walking her around following the surgery. The nurse asked about the pain and our friend said, "No, I'm crying because there IS NO pain anymore!"  Hope you get some relief as well one of these days, ACE.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 15:06:20 »
Aging is a challenge.
[/quote

To quote the old Dave Allen joke, "well it sure as hell beats the alternative". ;D

valmarg

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 10:49:53 »
Someone who lives with me, has decided I am not the healthy specimen she met quite a few years ago. So the fridge and larder are stocked with fat free fings, seady cereals and all sorts bland uninteresting food. But I do like the pomegranate juice. Not on it's own but mixed 50/50 with gin goes down a treat.

I have one before me as I type. I do not usually drink until after 12.00.noon  But I reckon it is mid day somewhere on this earth.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 13:04:56 »
I went and saw the doctor last week and he sent me for blood tests, xrays blood pressure tests, in fact everything to see what is wrong.  They took half an armfull of blood and every test checks out ok. The xrays only told him how much further my arthritus has gone since last time.

Verdict I'm healthy enough to go on quite a few years, no cholestral, diabetes, thyroid, etc,  blood pressure, right on. Operation to put my joints right, NO I'm not old enough! But I can help myself by losing some weight and do some exercise.

Blimey! I am always being told to slow down at work as the rest can't keep up. I know I am fond of a tipple, but not every day, and I never eat anything each day until about 5.00 then a sandwich at eight, loads of coffee all day but with sweeteners. How can I diet and exercise more?

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2008, 14:00:22 »
Looks like cutting out the booze then ACE  if thats all that is unhealthy about your diet.  Well, apart from not eating breakfast that is a nono.  You should alwas have brekky to keep you going thro the day.  Plate of porridge perhaps or fruit or whatever.   ;D

wilko

• Acre
  • Crowle
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2008, 14:04:15 »
and I never eat anything each day until about 5.00 then a sandwich at eight,

therein may lie your problem,  your metabolic rate will slow down if you don't eat enough, an engine (your bod) needs fuel (grub) to keep going, eat something, preferably healthy, often throughout the day, and i bet you'll see the weight fall off.  ;)
Life is to short !!!

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2008, 17:09:45 »
Hi Ace. Have you tried anything for the arthritis. I have M.E. & because of that I can't take tablets etc for pain relief. I have fibromyalgia & back problems & I have acupuncture for pain relief. I discovered emu oil recently & if the pain comes on over a weekend when I can't see my man I get OH to rub it on for me & it does help. It was £9.99 but I must have had it for at least 6 months, it has proven anti- inflammatory benefits.
Janet.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2008, 17:19:35 »
Thanks for the suggestions but porridge, acupuncture, rub some big bird oil in, No thanks I'll stick it out. ;)

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2008, 20:21:07 »
Verdict I'm healthy enough to go on quite a few years, no cholestral, diabetes, thyroid, etc,  blood pressure, right on. Operation to put my joints right, NO I'm not old enough! But I can help myself by losing some weight and do some exercise.

Ace, don't be fobbed off by the suggestion of "not being old enough".  This happened to me ten years ago when I needed a knee replacement.   Someone advised me that next time I had an appointment with the consultant to "insist" that he placed me on the list.  I did this and he agreed but said there was at least a two year wait before they could do it. 

Fortunately there was a change of Government and they wanted to reduce waiting times.  I had only been on the waiting list for four months when I was rung by the hospital asking if I would be willing to go to the Nuffield private hospital in Bournemouth the following month.  It would be paid for by the NHS.  I jumped at the chance because I was in considerable pain.  The consultant who did my op said it was one of the worst knees he had ever seen.

However, rules have changed now and the consultant must operate within 5 months of putting someone on the list.  If you are in that much pain and it would appear that you are if you are having difficulty putting on your socks, then insist that you are put on the list. 

Did you actually see a consultant or did your GP fob you off?

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2008, 09:01:17 »
I do not really want to have the op just yet, just fed up with the nagging pain. It has been like that for years, I was 'retired' early  because I was told I was unfit for regular work. I never worked for 9 months and I was in a bit of a state. Then an old boy told me he had been in the same condition but his motto was 'USE IT OR LOSE IT' and he was still digging the allotment.

So with that in mind, I started doing a bit of gardening for people and pretty soon dumped my disability allowance and now have my own mini nursery, I make over gardens and am in demand at the garden shows because I know what is needed. I also work very closely with a designer and we create all sorts of gardens and garden art. I have never look back and wish I had started it 35 years ago.

Now, pain in my joints is a thing I put up with and adjust my workload to suite. But just lately it has got worse. It has been suggested by my doctor that I have piled on a few pounds and I could help myself by loosing a bit. Since giving up smoking, one of the side affects for me is a taste for belgium buns. So I now have to loose two and a half ounces a day for a year to get down to a sensible weight. Easy peazy!

The joints used in the operation last 15 years, so I will wait on a bit yet. Plus I don't really have the time to recuperate twice.  I can soon start shouting if the weight lose doesn't work.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal