Author Topic: Have you tried this slug/snail deterrent?  (Read 16006 times)

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
Re: Have you tried this slug/snail deterrent?
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2008, 12:17:25 »
I'm using a wool based one called Slug Buggers bought from WWF. Expensive but seems to work. There are organic products like Grow Aid/Slug Gone that seem identical but without Organic mentioned quite so prominently on the label:

http://www.ukpetsupplies.com/Details.aspx?CatId=1078&ParentId=1077&ProdId=1943

Because they weigh postage is costly, best to try and pick up from a local supplier.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2008, 12:28:17 »
Can't see how it kills slugs unless it expands after they have eaten it or sticks their stomachs up or something foul!

Looks interesting - I will wait until a few of you lot have tried it first!!!

Sit on the fence?  MOI!

OB

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2008, 13:28:05 »
It doesn't kill them - it's a barrier.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2008, 15:32:54 »
I'm using a wool based one called Slug Buggers bought from WWF. Expensive but seems to work. There are organic products like Grow Aid/Slug Gone that seem identical but without Organic mentioned quite so prominently on the label:

http://www.ukpetsupplies.com/Details.aspx?CatId=1078&ParentId=1077&ProdId=1943

Because they weigh postage is costly, best to try and pick up from a local supplier.

That's interesting, Barnowl, and a new one on me.  What sort of coverage can you expect from a 3.5kg container?

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2008, 16:23:42 »
Now you're getting technical on me!  I just make a ring of it around each plant rather than around the entire bed but I'm afraid I haven't kept count of how many plants it was before the tub ran out. I remember it wasn't as many as I would have liked but isn't that always the case?

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2008, 22:56:34 »
During the day slugs take cover in your nicely tilled soil, then at night they come out. There's only one way to rid yourself of these pests. Anyone heard of "Rabbit lamping", use a similar approach, go looking for them at night with a powerful torch. Kill them by cutting with a sharp knife (razor blade fixed to a tomato cane), salt cellar (sprinkle it on them) and another way is to have about 3 inches of water in a bucket add a table spoonful of sulphate of ammonia and drop them into it.

We are in a plague situation with these pests, no kid glove approach.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2008, 16:47:53 »
Now you're getting technical on me!  I just make a ring of it around each plant rather than around the entire bed but I'm afraid I haven't kept count of how many plants it was before the tub ran out. I remember it wasn't as many as I would have liked but isn't that always the case?

Oh I see.  Thanks for the suggestion. If the lavender doesn't work I will try it.

We are in a plague situation with these pests, no kid glove approach.

You may be in a plague situation, Larkshall, but I'm not.  Lots of slugs do more good than harm in the garden and I'd rather work with nature, than against it.  I also think snails do more damage than slugs in the scheme of things.  The keeled slugs are a menace I agree, but as I said before I'll only kill them if absolutely necessary and then in the most humane way as possible - which I gather is cutting them in half (which I couldn't do) or dropping them into very hot water (which I have done).  Using salt is just cruel.  Naughty snails get lobbed over the fence into the neighbours' wilderness.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2008, 18:10:16 »
i read somewhere that a lady used to lob her snails away into the wilderness of next door, and decided to paint nail polish on some oneday, and guess what they came back :o >:(. don't know how true the story is. :-\

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2008, 20:01:11 »
i read somewhere that a lady used to lob her snails away into the wilderness of next door, and decided to paint nail polish on some oneday, and guess what they came back :o >:(. don't know how true the story is. :-\

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2008, 20:03:08 »

LOL I've heard that tale too.  But they don't move that quickly so it gives the tender plants and the snails a nice little break.   ;D

G x

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2008, 00:08:08 »

LOL I've heard that tale too.  But they don't move that quickly so it gives the tender plants and the snails a nice little break.   ;D

G x

:D your right it probably does give them a break ;D

SimonL

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2008, 15:47:00 »
I have been growing Moonflower Vines from seed and they have taken. Once the seedlings were established,  I planted them in the ground but found that the slugs and snails were very interested in them and had started to eat one of them.... I told this to a lady at work and she suggested that I cut the bottom part off a large plastic bottle, leaving the top off the bottle. Push it into the earth  around the plants....This way the slugs and snails cannot get to the plant - Thus providing an excellent way to protect your plants - I hope lots of people will benefit from this idea! :)  The plants are now thriving!  It's great!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 15:48:45 by SimonL »

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2008, 17:36:16 »
There's an article in today's Guardian magazine about leaving piles of comfrey at the edge of the beds as a diversion. It's also reported in more detail on the author's blog, here:
http://allanshepherd.com/

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2008, 18:13:47 »
I have been growing Moonflower Vines from seed and they have taken. Once the seedlings were established,  I planted them in the ground but found that the slugs and snails were very interested in them and had started to eat one of them.... I told this to a lady at work and she suggested that I cut the bottom part off a large plastic bottle, leaving the top off the bottle. Push it into the earth  around the plants....This way the slugs and snails cannot get to the plant - Thus providing an excellent way to protect your plants - I hope lots of people will benefit from this idea! :)  The plants are now thriving!  It's great!

Hello Simon and welcome to the site.  :)

Forgive me if I'm being a little slow but what is to stop the slugs and snails climbing up the bottle to reach the plant? 

G x

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2008, 18:21:31 »
Could you please tell the slugs about the comfrey and that they should be diverted.  My plot is infested with the stuff but the slugs seem to prefer my veggies.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2008, 19:39:19 »
Plastic bottle "collars" seem to work well- maybe the slugs don't like the sharp edges- and they act as a funnel when you're watering, too.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2008, 19:59:40 »
Plastic bottle "collars" seem to work well- maybe the slugs don't like the sharp edges- and they act as a funnel when you're watering, too.

Okay, I've just come to the conclusion that I must be a 'visual learner'.  Can someone post a pic of this method please?

The way I see it this method would only work for seedlings as plastic bottles don't have a very large diameter and soon the larger plants would have leaves hanging over the sides.  Or am I missing something?

G x

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2008, 20:06:38 »

Okay, I've just come to the conclusion that I must be a 'visual learner'.  Can someone post a pic of this method please?

The way I see it this method would only work for seedlings as plastic bottles don't have a very large diameter and soon the larger plants would have leaves hanging over the sides.  Or am I missing something?

G x

i think this is what they did at least this is what i do, minus the smoothing of edges.

http://www.gardengatemagazine.com/extras/49cloche.php

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2008, 20:18:33 »
Welcomr to the site SimonL   ;D

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2008, 20:25:13 »
So......now I'm expected to cook my empty plastic bottles?????? ;D ;D ;D

Is that taking green living a little too far???

CC
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal