Author Topic: Chilli seeds  (Read 964 times)

Lindsay

• Acre
  • Near Avignon, France
Chilli seeds
« on: August 08, 2008, 08:14:17 »
Last year I grew a lot of chilli plants and froze a lot of the chillis, but I forget to collect seed, so this year didn't grow any.   ::)

I was wondering if the seeds that I am now scraping out of the frozen chillis (as I prepare loads of tomato sauce!) could be used for plants next year? Would the effect of freezing help or hinder their growth?  I'm sure somewhere here knows the answer! 

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Chilli seeds
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 08:33:37 »
I doubt they would be viable but you can try a few... if you grew a lot then they probably cross pollinated anyway. How's the horse radish doing? PM me and I'll look you out some seed...  ;D

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 12:03:48 »
They are unlikely to grow but surely there are other plotholders who are growing chillies who would donate the odd fruit as they mature, after all I have never eaten all my chillies, only my dragon could do that.

George

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments1_homepage.html

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 10:22:06 »
But remember chillies cross fertilise very readily - unless someone has only grown the one type, the odds are that any seed from the fruit will not grow true to the original plant. Also some are F1 Hybrids (e.g. Apache, Cheyenne). Could be fun though  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal