Author Topic: WHAT CAN I GROW NOW?  (Read 3608 times)

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
Re:WHAT CAN I GROW NOW?
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2004, 19:18:39 »
May be a silly question...but does anyone put Spinich in again this late?
I love the stuff but the first lot bolted! The little we ate was delish.

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2004, 19:36:20 »
CL. You can sow spinach now. The right time is early August and again towards the end of August in sheltered spot. But NOT in the shade. Thin out and hoe and in early winter the leaves can be harvested till end April.
I have spinach in summer since 22 years and they dont get bolted.  :D. I think three things are imported: Put spinach in the sun but behind or between other plants, like fennel, so they have some shade. Sandy soil is what they like and EVERY DAY they want WATER, WATER, WATER. (unless it is raining a lot, of course- but this year the soil is SOOOO dry)  and you can pick endless  ;D ;D .But winter spinach is also nice to grow.

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2004, 22:02:14 »
Thanks Lady C, I'll give some more a go. I think last lot did not get quite enough sun, now have space in full sun. Wish me luck!   8)

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2004, 23:05:13 »
Answer: Don`t have kids! The parrot is bad enough giving wolf whistles and oooooh sounds when you have something nice on plate like runners or carrot tops and cucumber,cheese,spud(mashed)bread and butter... shelling peas with him sitting on shoulder eating them with no shirt on cos of heat(ouch)me no shirt not scooby! then you have to hoover up the mess!
Not taken him to plot yet as too hot but may do one day cos he gets bored on his own...

fred

• Not So New ...
  • I twart I taw a wunner bean
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2004, 21:19:23 »
We have made a small sandpit like a raised bed for Emily my 5 year old

Just make sure its covered or cats and foxed will leave presents :-X

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal