Author Topic: What to plant in August?  (Read 2117 times)

oakmore2

• Half Acre
  • Rabbit surveillance officer
What to plant in August?
« on: August 05, 2008, 13:59:44 »
I took on allotment a few weeks ago, and have managed to rabbit proof it and clear it. Yesterday I planted some seed potatoes, but I'm yet to put anything else in. I'm thinking some carrots, onions, have found a few brassica plants in my local garden centre which I'll put in. Most of my other seeds say plant in June/July latest (beans etc). Just wondered whether anyone has any ideas on things that it is not too late to put in?

grahamatlocking

• Not So New ...
Re: What to plant in August?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 14:03:44 »
I'm looking forward to a reply on this one as I have only just got my plot.  :)

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 14:13:39 »
Hi

http://www.organicplants.co.uk/acatalog/Catalogue____August_Delivery_44.html

Delfland do packs or pick and mix each month of plants that are ready to plant, there is not much in the August collection but a better selection to order for September if that is any help.  I know a few people use them on here.

I think you could still plant a few beetroot, and turnip, I am sure there are other things too, my mind has gone blank but if I think of them I will come back.  I am sure others can come up with suggestions too.

Good luck and enjoy...

T.

erbie

• Not So New ...
  • make a hole, stick it in and watch it grow!
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 14:17:27 »
hi! :)
I am new to this forum (this is my first post!) but now so new to veg gardening.
Whenever i get all these ideas about growing veg i remember soome of the best advice i have ever had....only grow things you like to eat!
For me this time of year i am about to grow alot of oriental veg and salad leaves, a favorite of mine is Pak Choi (green revolution), Mizuna, Chinese leaf, Chinese Cabbage, Pe tsoi. Winter leuttice, Radishes. You can even plant some dwarf french beans, I get given plenty of Italian Chard seeds (which i can post to you if you want to try it) they can be planted from march to the end of october and are great as a robust staple green (as long as you like chard!).
The japanese onion sets can start to be put down in about 4-6 weeks time, as can early garlic, or you can wait until winter is kicking in (mid November to December is probably best).
I would go to http://www.realseeds.co.uk to buy your seeds and take a look there as they have excellent grow advice, times to sow etc with every seed description, plus they offer good old fashioned and hardy strains, none of those artificially bred F1 strains that can be pigs to grow, plus they give you ALOT more seed much cheaper than those big companies.
Sorry about the ramble, growing veg gets me excited! hehe
Good luck!

oakmore2

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 15:51:47 »
Thanks erbie, and welcome to the site.
The seed website you've suggested looks really good. I might give them a try. :)
Thanks for the offer on the Chard, I do indeed love it, I've got some seeds her but thought I was too late, so I'll get those in sharpish!
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 15:56:37 »
This recent thread from last week should have your answers:

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,44450.msg444904.html#msg444904
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

oakmore2

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 16:00:43 »
Thanks kt - I handed spotted that thread, it's really useful.
 ;D ;D

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 16:11:34 »
I've ordered five lots of seed (minimum order £7.00) from RealSeeds. I am in the process of re-designing the whole Veg. garden, using 1 metre wide beds instead of the whole garden in rows. This is because it is heavy clay and treads down solid when wet or damp. Using the bed system I can avoid treading it down.

Thanks for the link to RealSeeds.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal