Author Topic: gas guzzlers tax  (Read 1023 times)

ACE

• Hectare
gas guzzlers tax
« on: August 04, 2008, 16:02:48 »
Well It ain't nothing to do with saving the enviroment, just another way of converting the scare tactics of global warming into another stealth tax.

Do you want to beat them? silly question I know, but there are still some gullable people about that think we are all going to be washed away when the ice melts.

Get a decent van or pickup, something you can chuck all that gardening gear into. VED is levied as a light delivery vehicle. which will stay the same regardless of emissions, engine size, etc. Now you have a mobile shed, transport, and compost carrier which is also tax deductable on your gardening 'business'. Your tools, plants, fuel etc will also be tax deductable. No need to earn a living. just pretend.

Now back to if the ice melts.
I may be wrong but I always thought that water expands as it turns to ice. Where this ice is displacing water surely the water level will drop if it melts. There you go we've all been had again. Someones making a lot of money out of us.

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
Re: gas guzzlers tax
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 16:18:04 »
it shows how distorted our priorities have become - people scream blue murder when they are taxed harder - fair enough because what has the money rasied got to do with the protecting the environment?

But, there are 2 real problems with our collective consumer lifestyle that the rest of the planet is desperately trying to copy:

1. We produce huge amounts of waste during the manufacture and use of the food and goods we consume.
2. There simply are not enough resources in the world for everyone to live like we do - and even if that were possible, the pollution would make the planet uninhabitable.

The government should play a big part in getting people to use less fuel (including gas-giuzzling vehicles) - because of the pollution it causes and the finite amount of oil there is in the world.
I entirely agree that so-called green taxes are a cynical way to fleece us yet again. I will be voting at the next general election for a party that does not pretend to care for the planet but actually puts forward some real solutions (if I can find one!).
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 16:18:19 »

Now back to if the ice melts.
I may be wrong but I always thought that water expands as it turns to ice. Where this ice is displacing water surely the water level will drop if it melts. There you go we've all been had again. Someones making a lot of money out of us.

Have you ever heard of archimedes principle? about an object displacing a volume of water.  Its the reason icebergs float with part above the water, if they were to melt they would displace the same amount of water as when they are frozen.  Ice that is not floating, ie that which is left at the caps is a different matter.

Best laid plans and all that

JJane01

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 16:34:25 »
I know it's a child's film, but Wall-E is a bit of a salutary tale of how things could be, at their extreme.  And it wasn't a pretty sight, from any angle.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 19:11:34 »

Do you want to beat them? silly question I know, but there are still some gullable people about that think we are all going to be washed away when the ice melts.

Only those on the Isle of Wight will be washed away!
   ;D

Get a decent van or pickup, something you can chuck all that gardening gear into. VED is levied as a light delivery vehicle. which will stay the same regardless of emissions, engine size, etc. Now you have a mobile shed, transport, and compost carrier which is also tax deductable on your gardening 'business'. Your tools, plants, fuel etc will also be tax deductable. No need to earn a living, just pretend.

What are we going to live on then if we don't "earn a living"?  There wouldn't be tax to pay on no income so how could transport and fuel be tax deductable? 

Good Gourd 2

• Half Acre
  • My minature allotment.
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 21:04:32 »
I suppose someone will fall out with me for saying this but-  I don`t jet thousands of miles on holidays.  I demonstrate at steam rallies no more than 30miles from home. 6 a year.  I need a caravan and awning to do this share my skills at the rural craft that I do.  ever tried to pull a two berth caravan with a mini.  My yearly milage is never more than 4000.  And yes I have a 4 wheel drive. Any car that will pull a caravan is going to be a gas guzzler.  I don`t ask a lot out of life but the goverment would like me to  give up completely.  (almost forgot partial to the odd glass of wine as well) ???

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal