Author Topic: Well I never knew that....!  (Read 4254 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Well I never knew that....!
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2008, 12:53:08 »
Calabacin is the Spanish word for courgette,zucchino is the Italian, where did you get the info that it is all male?

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 12:55:37 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2008, 13:00:59 »
Ah! I didn't read the blurb on the website as I got the seeds directly from Italy.  they are MAINLY male, not ALL male:

http://www.seedsofitaly.com/product/682

and on reading the back of the packet (for the first time, and I've had them a year!) the variety is San Pasquale.

Gosh, it's amazing what I can see now I've changed my glasses!
The Tuscan Beaneater

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2008, 17:04:09 »
so....that's courgettes sorted - what about cucumbers, please? I've got Marketmore in the g/house & I understand I don't have to pick off the male flowers, is that right? Then the cucumber I've outside I can't remember the name of, so I just call it "Kookie" ;)...should I remove the male flowers from that one, please, just in case?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2008, 19:25:42 »
Well done Asbean,, you had me worried there for a mo.  I know this one specifically for flowers , I hope you use them XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2008, 19:46:06 »
Oh yes, that's why we grow them. Now we're fed up with them (the flowers)  :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P !!!
The Tuscan Beaneater

erbie

• Not So New ...
  • make a hole, stick it in and watch it grow!
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2008, 10:03:05 »
hi Jeannine :)
thanks for the welcome
O.K my problem with Kabocha is when to sow them, do i make a fence for them to climb and do i need to pinch out some fruit to get some decent sized squash?
p.s this forum is great!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2008, 11:28:12 »
Hi again, Kabocha will go up a fence if that is what you want but they won't climb in the true sense,eg like an ivy would, you will have to tie them in  as they grow.

I never pinch out my squash unless it is close to the end of the season and they are still producing babies. In that case I will pinch the growing to allow the already growing fruit a good chance on maturing.

Lots of folks will disagree with pinching out, but my own feeling is if the ground is well prepared and they are given the room they need to grow they don't need it.

If of course you are aiming to grow a record breaker then it is a good idea.

Bear in mind the growing needs and the length of time to harvest, there is vast differences between squash varieties. and plant accordingly. If you plant in time you should have no problems with Kabocha.

I have one full lottie of just squash which sometimes has more than fifty different  types growing, the ground turns into a forest of foliage  which would be impossible to go around pinching out.

So tips

Sow early enough that the plants have a chance of maturing in the UK, but not too early that they are cold.
Very well fertilised ground.
Be prepared to assist with water.
They need warmth so a bad summer is not good for squash.
Give them the space they need, cramping them is probably the number one mistake that people make.
Find the specs on the variety you want to grow so you are familiar with the time to harvest.

That is it really, given their needs I find they grow themselves.

Hope this helps.

XX Jeannine

erbie

• Not So New ...
  • make a hole, stick it in and watch it grow!
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2008, 11:56:14 »
Thanks Jeannine!
yes that does help :)
What time of the year do you plant them? april/ish like normal squash?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2008, 12:01:58 »
 What do you consider normal squash?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal