Author Topic: Getting rid of the clippings in wet weather?  (Read 1660 times)

lewic

• Hectare
Getting rid of the clippings in wet weather?
« on: August 06, 2008, 13:58:16 »
Finally got my allotment key and managed 2 hours of lopping/clearing before work today, so can now see my shed! However I now have a huge pile of willow tree clippings, bindweed, brambles and unidentified shrub, and I've only just started.

May seem a silly question but how do you get rid of it? There is no vehicle access to our site, so I cant take it to the tip. Its been raining for days so its soaking wet, and I dont think a bonfire would light. Should I just douse it in paraffin and stand well back?!

Old bird

• Hectare
Re: Getting rid of the clippings in wet weather?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 16:28:06 »
Probably not a good idea!

Why don't you park it in a corner where you aren't working and let it dry (which should not take more than a week or two) then have your bonfire (if you are allowed them?!)

Bet you that although it is hard work - it is extremely satisfying!  I am a clearance gardener - I don't do prissy beds - I like the major clearance stuff!

Brilliant fun!

Old Bird

;D

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 17:27:53 »
Ditto....defo not a good idea....accident waitng to happen.

Like Old Bird just said.Pile it up in a corner somewhere.Ge a cheap cover frm B&Q or smewher and let it dry out.....then have a good old bonfire if you are allowed....we aren't  :(
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

STEVEB

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 18:52:52 »
when i first cleared my site i set afire going then dragged it round burning all down need to be their constantly and worth doing on a still day to try an not antagonise your neighbours too much !!
If it ain't broke don't fix it !!

erbie

• Not So New ...
  • make a hole, stick it in and watch it grow!
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 11:22:39 »
I had the same problem last year in August when i took over the lotty.
Basically there are certain times of the day when you are allowed to have a bonfire, i think it's after 6pm but u need to check.
What i did was to make a pile away from overhead trees for obvious reasons! and keep adding to it, also if it's all wet ask your fellow allotmenteers if they have anything they need to get rid of, pallets etc (also gets you in their good books!) and then have a bonfire on the 5th of November, you will find nobody will complain on that day when there's thousands of other fires going!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 19:15:56 »
Leave it till it dries out (it's always hard to light newly cut wood) then burn it.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal