Author Topic: White turnips..oh dear.  (Read 798 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
White turnips..oh dear.
« on: August 02, 2008, 21:38:34 »
 I usually grow swede(rutabaga depending on where you live) anyway the usual yellow orange one. This year I grew some white turnips,T & M said they tasted of melon........rubbish, and they taste dreadful, is there a secret to cooking them please. Tried them just simmered in chunks,elle naturelle, then  the next lot I tried to mash them with butter but tons of water came out of them so I had to drain them again. butter and all. They taste like very strong radishes to me. Lovely white veggie with a lilac coloured top, I have tried them very small and much larger.

They are bound for the compost I think.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
Re: White turnips..oh dear.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 21:45:23 »
I am growing these (purple top milan and snowball) - but planned them for an autumn veg as I like them roasted with swede, pumpkin and celeriac as autumn roasted veg with pork or chicken. I have never tried them boiled.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 21:58:45 »
I'm growing them as I saw a recipe somewhere for hoey glazed turnips & they sounded lovely. Haven't tried them yet.
Janet.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 22:13:09 »
Just realised these are Purple top Milan, the Oasis(tastte like melon) are in another bed and they are bright plain white.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal