Author Topic: garlic/Leek Rust  (Read 6158 times)

janafolly

• Not So New ...
garlic/Leek Rust
« on: July 07, 2008, 20:05:34 »
Hi everyone,

>:( Anybody have any tips to avoid or solve the problem of rust on leeks and garlic.

Understand Potash feeding helps, but anyone know anything about Bayer Dithane 945?

Problem just visible on garlic and will shortly be planting leeks, so any ideas.

Most the usual fungicides for this now banned by EEC.

Best wishes, and wouldn't it be nice it would stop raining.

JW

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: garlic/Leek Rust
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 20:07:43 »
hiya, janafolly, welcome to the site  ;D
the rust doesn't seem to affect our garlic harvest, probably the rain's the cause of it  :-\

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 20:32:55 »
I had it so badly on my Solent Wight last year the leaves died off altogether. this year I've had none at all. I still got a crop, even last year, so don't have any worries about a little.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 20:40:02 »
There is no remedy that i know of for the amateur gardener but you could try spraying the rust spots with tomato feed. If you touch the rust wash your hands
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

janafolly

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 09:07:27 »
Thanks everyone, I'll have a go with the tomato food.

Noticed rust on the chives today, oh well.

STEVEB

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 23:23:23 »
what does garlic rust do to the plant?
If it ain't broke don't fix it !!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 09:46:14 »
Not a lot unless it completely overwhelms the leaves, in which case they die back. I get it most years, but even last year, when the plants died back early, I still got a crop. This year there's been none.

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 11:40:34 »
I got quite a lot of it on my garlic, when the crop was well advanced, and it did not seem to affect the quality. This year's garlic is the best I've ever tasted. More recently it started to appear on my leeks and I just clipped off the affected leaves (and burned them) which seemed to do the trick - no more has appeared and the leeks are growing strongly. Not sure that's recommended by the experts though!

Best not to grow garlic or leeks again in an area that's been affected by rust, for 2 or 3 years at least.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 15:30:36 »
but anyone know anything about Bayer Dithane 945?

I prefer using it for 'blight' control.

Sithsane is quite a good general fungicide.

I use a commercial product named 'Tilt' on my onions & leeks. It is powerful stuff only  2 millilitres to the gallon is required.

I have to use a hypodermic type syringe to measure it out.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 15:56:40 »
How are you getting hold of Tilt, Tee Gee?  According to the PSD, its licence was withdrawn on 30 Nov 2004 and stock had to be used up by 30 Nov 2005.

I've been spending too much time reading the Pesticides Register!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 16:25:42 »
had to be used up by 30 Nov 2005.

oops!! News to me!! Takes such a long time to use up, I use 2ml per annum, I guess I must have about 30ml left so enough for another 15 years I guess ;)

I've been spending too much time reading the Pesticides Register!

Mmmmmmmmmmmm!! perhaps!!  ;D

Unlike some users of chemicals I only use them when required, meaning some years I don't use any!!

Unlike licensed commercial users (organic or otherwise) they will use it as a matter of course whether needed or not. i.e. they use it as 'preventative medicine  I only use it when I need a cure ( and this is my view on all chemical).

Then there is the known fact; I know when a chemicals has been applied to any of my produce so I act accordingly!

Can't say I can do the same with 'shop bought' produce organic or otherwise.

Finally I would like to say I am not being flippant or am I ever complacent when using them so when the 'commercial organic' producers give us a level playing field then I might jump on the band wagon that they are on.

ps Thought for today;................

I consider my plants as living things and as such should be treated as such.

I would even compare them to humans e.g.

Why is it when an organic grower who will not use plant 'medicines (that's how I see chemicals) when their plants are poorly in the garden/allotment, yet when they get home and find their child is 'poorly' they reach for the Kalpol,  Sudafed or some such chemical?

Beggars belief when put that way doesn't it.

So in this 'Nanny state' I just want to get on with 'nannying' my plants and my kids without state interferance.

btw Ceres! this article is not pointed at you in anyway shape or form, on the contrary I have learned lots from you reading 'The Pesticides Register'

I just saw it as an opportunity to express my views on the matter regarding the use/non use of chemicals (plant medicine)  ::)

I rest my case  ;)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 16:28:52 by Tee Gee »

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 18:04:50 »
I bought some bayer dithane from Wilkies this year just in case my potatoes got blight. have just read the front of the packet and it says to use it for rust as well. Alishka said to lime the bed too so I will be doing that before I plant the garlic this year
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal