Author Topic: new greenhouse at this time, what to grow...  (Read 2773 times)

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
new greenhouse at this time, what to grow...
« on: July 28, 2008, 15:39:03 »
Our new 8x10 foot greenhouse will be arriving in about 2 weeks.  ;D ;D ;D ;D What can we use this for at this time of year? So excited, never had a greenhouse before!

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
Re: new greenhouse at this time, what to grow...
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 16:23:11 »
Is it a conservatory / lean to against the house or going to be heated over the winter?

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 16:33:35 »
How exciting Sparkly!

I am not good at advice on what to put in greenhouses for over the winter as I am useless at it!  I have mine full during spring with plants etc and summer with cucumbers, tomatoes and melons - but will watch this thread to find out what I should be doing!!  I have only been gardening for 30 odd years!

Good luck with yours I am sure you will enjoy it for many years to come!

Old Bird

;D

Sparkly

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 10:31:30 »
It is just a standard stand alone greenhouse. It won't be heated....

Old Bird, I am planning to grow tomatoes, cucumbers, aubergines, chillies and peppers and also use the greenhosue for growing plug plants of veg and bedding flowers.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 10:34:41 »
Great for over winter salads... I will be putting a new cover on my polytunnel, which has been out of service this summer, but was replaced by a cheap greenhouse...  ;D

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 16:51:16 »
Over winter salads were going to be my suggestion   :)  but there are also brassicas and Asian vegetables.

I don't think there is much that actually needs to be sown in a greenhouse at the moment, but some things can be sown now that would like the protection of a greenhouse later on, or will grow faster in a GH and thus give more chance of a crop.

It might be worth being a little ambitious and trying to grow a quick growing tomato and/or cucumber from seed (so long as you don't have high expectations) - or (better) pick up some seedlings from a nursery.  Also, if there's going to be room in the house over winter,  you could start off some chillies.

I think it is too late to sow aubergine: your only chance is to find some well developed seedlings, otherwise wait until the Spring.

I believe you can sow onions in the autumn, but it might be more fun to try some of the Japanese variations on Spring onions like Ishikuro and Shimonita and buy sets for your onion planting.

There are several types/varieties of brassica that can be sown now and developed as seedlings for planting out on the allotment later in the year.

Also you could start potato containers outdoors in Late August / September and move them into the greenhouse when frosts are forecast, to give a late crop in Nov/Dec.

Had a bit of liquid lunch so standing by to be shot down in flames.....

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 20:28:41 »
Yer in luck- it's against the law to shoot down Barnowls, tipsy or otherwise!

Am contimplating building a greenhouse so am watching this with interest as well.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 10:13:12 »
I forgot to mention herbs like Basil,  Coriander and Marjoram that like a bit of warmth for germination.  They can over-winter on a windowsill in the house.

Come on you peeps out there - more ideas please..

Sparkly

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 16:24:12 »
I have a number of tomato plants in pots on the patio. Would they benefit from being moved into the greenhouse, even at this late time? I am definately going to plant some 'xmas' spuds in tubs and use the greenhouse for them later in the season. What about carrots? What is the latest you think I could sow them in a tub in the greenhouse and get a crop? How late will summer lettuce like little gem grow under glass?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 16:37:19 »
we're sowing carrots, probably early nantes in the poly this month, mouli radish are good a bit later, nice with the oriental greens in a stir fry..french beans, we've not long planted some for a late crop outside so they may be ok..

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal