Author Topic: price of carrots at producers markets?  (Read 3012 times)

misterroy

• Not So New ...
price of carrots at producers markets?
« on: July 31, 2008, 21:30:03 »
I am amazed at the price difference between the local supermarket and the producer's market, 84p a kilo in Coop, 250p a kilo in the market. Obviously a premium for freshness, the carrots sell out at the market in no time. What price are carrots at your producers market? (Ours makes no distinction for variety).

gordonsveg

• Acre
  • 68 years old ,
Re: price of carrots at producers markets?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 21:35:56 »
Maybe more guilable(???) people shop at farmers markets, I think their veg etc is always vastly overpriced.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 22:01:31 »
we used to live round the corner from a farmers market and one of the organic stalls sold the tiniest veg you've ever seen and they were 2.50 a kilo for root veg - tomatoes £5 a kilo!!! I just couldnt bear to eat something that expensive!

the other stalls were okay though. I do wonder if some people value these things more because they're more expensive, people with a lot of disposable income and certain ideas about what food should be about.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 22:03:20 »
But is £1 a lb expensive for top quality root crops?

misterroy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 22:06:53 »
Having grown carrots without using machinery, £1 per lb seems pretty cheap

KathrynH

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 22:14:54 »
I can't begrudge paying a bit more at our local farmers market. You know what you are getting and where it has come from and the money goes directly to the producer. Don't get me wrong, there is a place for supermarkets and I would be lost without my weekly run but the farmers market is my first choice both for the quality and ethics and to me that's a price worth paying.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 09:53:25 »
If I could afford it I would possibly pay it.  But I can't, so whatever we need over and above what the plot can produce is purchased from a supermarket.  Not ideal I know but its a fact of life for most.  I do support my local allotment shop and its nursery as prices are usually cheaper for plants and flowers.  Plus the money goes directly back into the nursery.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 10:27:25 »
brough home a couple of carrots for a shepards pie this week that hubbie was cooking and he put most of them in the bin. His excuse what that the had a green or dark core aka not orange all the way though.  ???

Made him go and buy one its cost 23p

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 11:17:02 »
So sad that Organic or Fresh ones wilt within a day?

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 18:04:39 »
I have in the past invested in these bags! You can wash and reuse them a few times and yes they are expensive but they do work !! I like to use them most of my vegetables. Great for soft fruits and the keep my shop bought blueberries fresh for ages!
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/stayfresh-longer-bags/F/C/storing-preserving/C/storing-preserving-food-bags/product/1932_1094_1092

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal