Author Topic: Will I ever learn?  (Read 3544 times)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Will I ever learn?
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2008, 07:45:49 »
The seasons always vary so we always "get it wrong"....  ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2008, 22:33:57 »
Looplou, think in terms of only summer and winter squash..it makes things easier. Then put your courgettes into the summer and your pumpkins in with the winter squash along with the Butternuts etc.

Winter squash will store more several months if picked mature and cured well. They can also be used early as summer squash.They are dry fleshed and sweet,

Summer squash don't store, they have about the same shelf life as cucumbers.

Most summer squash are softer, more watery and less sweet than winter squash. completely different to winters

The crooknecks and straight neck squash are  better than most courgettes , the crookneck is a but differnt still as it has a wee but more dense flesh than a courgette  ot strightneck. I think it is the best of the summer squashes.

Try your courgettes, dipped in seasoned egg, then seasoned flour with alittle  bit of parmesan cheese. added.similar to my quickie version of Fried Green toms

Does this help.

XX Jeannin e
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2008, 23:26:28 »
Next to the notice about no circulars my neighbours will probably put a notice saying 'no more courgettes'.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2008, 23:50:34 »
I cut 10 marrows off my 4 courgette plants today.  I didn't want 4 plants but they came 2 per pot at our seedling sale and they were different varieties.  I only need one plant but if I only planted one, I'm betting it would croak!

I'm not the only one - there are piles of marrows appearing at the junctions of our site paths, outside the cafe and by the gates!

Ah well, marrow jam and chocolate marrow bread over the weekend then.

annppayne

• Not So New ...
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2008, 08:50:14 »
I gave some of my courgettes to my daughter and was delighted to learn that her pet Giant Snails really enjoy the yellow ones.    .................... makes all my efforts worthwhile knowing I am appreciated by her snails  !!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal