Author Topic: climbers for containers - suggestions?  (Read 3026 times)

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
climbers for containers - suggestions?
« on: July 28, 2008, 19:43:54 »
Hi - I'm on about climbers in containers again!

Thanks to helpful tips from others I think I know I don't have room next to my door for a very large container/raised bed, because the drain gets in the way.

But I still harbour (twee) dreams of something climbing round the door of my house. But I'm not sure what will be happy in a container which is max 50cm (20") in diameter.

as I say I have rather twee taste when it comes to gardens so I really want something with flowers. I love roses but suspect they need bigger containers than that.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
Re: climbers for containers - suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 02:01:17 »
Clematis. Choose one of the less rampant varieties (not montana, for example) - you can have it flower in spring, summer or autumn depending what yoy want. It'll need lots of water (no, you can't empty the drainpipe into it ;D) and food, but it will grow for quite a few years without problems.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 07:05:09 »
Some of the smaller climbing roses will be fine in a tub that large...
 :)

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 09:42:05 »
Passionfruit might work.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 09:52:16 »
http://www.davidaustinroses.com/english/Advanced.asp?PageId=2018

There's some info about growing roses in containers here.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 10:19:36 »
oh thank you - I thought roses would be a bit hearty for a pot. I love them and clematis.

The trouble is that there are so many varieties to choose from - I'll have a look at the website you recommended, grawrc and see if that helps.

And on my drainpipe thread someone gave me tips on growing roses in pots if I do go for a rose.

let's hope i can make a decision now!

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 10:30:17 »
Hi
This year ive got the cup and saucer vine in containers (cobae) its grown really quick and doesnt need a big container. you can grow it from seed and if you protect it from frost in the winter it will make a substantial plant the next year.

Also you could try some morning glories such as grandpa ots gorgeous but need a warm june! an annual but this means that you can try them and see if you like them and they dont make heavy wood stems for tying up.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 11:29:23 »
Hi
This year ive got the cup and saucer vine in containers (cobae) its grown really quick and doesnt need a big container. you can grow it from seed and if you protect it from frost in the winter it will make a substantial plant the next year.

Also you could try some morning glories such as grandpa ots gorgeous but need a warm june! an annual but this means that you can try them and see if you like them and they dont make heavy wood stems for tying up.

I have a question about morning glories since planting a couple varieties this year- some have bloomed for a couple weeks and some ("Heavenly Blue" and others) are all vines still no flowers. I read once that they are thrown off blooming schedule if they're grown near lights and they recommended for that reason not to grow them near a house or street light for example. On which looks like a purple grandpa ots has been blooming well (away from the house.) So you might keep that in mind.  I'd probably go for a clematis instead.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 15:48:35 »
Oh I didn't know that GA, maybe thats why mine are not flowering. There's plenty of buds but not opening. Thanks for the info.

Sorry I seen to have hijacked your thread Pigeonseed........I hope your choice is a bit easier now (for your tub). If your still having trouble, have 2 tubs  ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 19:24:38 »
not highjacking - definitely on the same topic, so I'm interested.

I had thought about morning glory as well - or something like perennial sweetpea, also nice.

But my short list was basically down to clematis Florida Pistaccio or roses Iceberg or New Dawn - small climbers. Before ordering I saw Crocus offer advice so I emailed them and they gave me an answer I didnt want!

"I'm afraid no climbing rose will be happy in a pot in the long term. Your best option would be one of the smaller Clematis"

:(

But other people say they grow them ok...  I'm tempted to try it, but imagine if you spent a few years training it round the door only to find it couldnt cope.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 20:13:59 »
Maybe a rose plus a clematis in your pot with a divider down the center? If rosey can't cope- off with 'er head.
How much sun will this doorway get by the way?

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 20:46:35 »
That's brutal!  :)

It's very sunny, it gets full sun in the morning and cooler in the evening.

I'd worry that a clematis and rose in the same pot might make matters worse, with them competing for space and nutrients.

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 00:41:36 »
Jasmine?

I have an Akebia in a large pot by my garden door, south west facing - basically gets the sun all day and has to be attacked several times to keep it from coming in and watching my telly. I can forgive it however as the purple After Eight scented flowers in Spring are a joy.
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 11:56:03 »

I'd worry that a clematis and rose in the same pot might make matters worse, with them competing for space and nutrients.

My thought was that you could slip one out of the pot more easily if it wasn't meeting expectations.

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 14:52:49 »
If you do go for clematis then the Mrs Cholmondesly variety is gorgeous, big lilac flowers and it tends to flower like mad.
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2008, 16:18:41 »

My thought was that you could slip one out of the pot more easily if it wasn't meeting expectations.

I see! Yes that's a thought. If it wasnt happy, I could plant it in the back garden.
Hmm

and I looked at clematis Mrs Cholmondeley Posie - it is a lovely colour.

I need 4 or 5 different front doors, so I can grow everything.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal