Author Topic: Gas prices  (Read 7444 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Gas prices
« on: July 30, 2008, 21:08:46 »
Bit worried about the increase in gas/electricity prices from British Gas.  But even although I am an old age pensioner, will have to do some more weeding and digging on the allotment and put on extra clothes and stay dirty.

Seriously should I switch to fixed price until 2011, or do you think the government will have to help people.  Not needed today as so hot, but maybe the winter will be cold with snow (can''t remember that for a long time).

valmarg

• Hectare
Re: Gas prices
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 23:08:27 »
Yes, Borlotti, it's very worrying as another pensioner (but most definitely not 'old age') ;D

One can only hope that the global warming that the latter day 'end of the world is nigh' brigade is threatening will 'kick in' and we won't need the central heating this winter. ;D

valmarg

isbister

• Half Acre
  • Middlesex
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 08:32:55 »
A friend of mine, who's a pensioner, is planning on spending the winter riding round on a bus. It won't cost him anything with his free pass and he's going to save on heating at home...I think he's joking

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 08:39:02 »
We ar considering going abroad for 2mths, i t won`t cost much more !!!!.

Now we know why we all got those free bus passes that go anywhere they will fill the buses up all day :o :o ;D.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 08:41:06 by rosebud »

Davy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 08:41:13 »
Have you tried the stay warm tariff?

http://www.eonenergy.com/At-Home/Products/Products-Electricity-And-Gas/Electricity-and-Gas/StayWarm/

Also get in touch with your local council as they may be able to offer grants for insulation and discounted home heating appliance schemes (applicable to private home owners as well as local authority accommodation).

Check Martin Lewis's MoneySavingExpert site for how to get best fixed deals for energy and which comparison sites to switch with.  

Do it quick as a lot of the fixed price deals will be going today.

Failing that, its two jumpers I'm afraid!

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 10:00:17 »
Borlotti

I have this morning switched to a fixed price tarriff until October 2009.  It is going to cost me 12% more but with increased expected which by the end of the year could be 70% then I think it is sensible.

The Money bloke on the Jeremy Vine show was saying fix prices as soon as you can for as long as you can so I would agree with him and go with it. 

If the price of gas/electricity drops so does my price accordingly although it will still remain 12% higher than now!

You really need to move fast though as the fixed prices will not be available for long - possibly even  by the end of the week - you may not be able to fix them after that - so GET ON WITH IT!

Old Bird!

;D

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 11:13:44 »
Just fixed my gas and electricity with British Gas until 2011.  Did it on the internet.  Hope I have done the right thing, can't see that prices will drop, but at least my gas shares may go up and as I am old get a heating allowance.

Think the idea of riding around on buses, tubes and trains all day for nothing is brilliant, or of course with all the exercise at the allotment, a few hours digging warms one up.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 12:39:21 »
it always pays to change your supplier through uswitch.com for example - we changed from Gritish Bass  ;D several years ago to a much cheaper supplier and saved a fortune - hopefully these greedy companies will not be allowed to continue getting away with these price rises

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 14:55:05 »
Our electricity bills have actually gone down these past couple of years.  The reasons we think are low power bulbs, turning off lights when no-one is in the room and much more insulation.  (Why does it always have to be me though that goes around switching off lights after others!)   The central heating oil has almost doubled though.  We hope to use less this year by putting in even more insulation.  The cavity walls were done under the Government scheme when my mother lived with us.

We are now considering solar power, a wind turbine and having a multi fuel stove fitted.   

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 16:30:27 »
Spent 20 minutes on the phone waiting to be answered by British Gas and they told me my fixed price until 2011 had already gone up.  I only signed up today as worried by all the news on TV about prices.  Apparently I should have done it two days ago.  A bit worried now that I have signed up for 3 years but think gas will go up and not down.  All the other companies will probably increase their charges.  I thought I was good with money and as I am still active and not too hard up can cope.  Feel sorry for really old ladies who will be worried about their bills.  The government will have to increase the fuel allowance.  Not too worried today as I only need to put the fan on at night and can have a cold shower to cool down.

Davy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 19:01:31 »
Borlotti,

You can still swap their is a seven day cooling off period from any deal switching supplier or tariff.  Try and cancel the order from today and go elsewhere.  Try Uswitch, Energywatch etc to find your cheapest fixed rate supplier.

Their is still time to get a good deal.  Try and go for a fixed rate or a capped energy plan. 

Good Luck!

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 19:14:37 »
Of course the government has taken measures to offset these increases for pensioners.  Eyebrows Darling has increased the winter fuel payments from £200 to £250, which is per household, not per person.

When OH was 60 he received the £200.  When we were both over 60 we received £100 each.  So the increase is £25 each.  Whilst it's better than a kick up the waistcoat, the government is making out its much more of an increase than it is.

valmarg

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 20:24:57 »
Remind me again what the winter fuel allowance was under the Tories.  And remind me again who created this farce of a system that lines the pockets of the rich at the expense of the poor whilst using the money gained by frittering it away on tax cuts that coincidently always occurred 12-18 months before the next general election.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 20:47:44 »
Can't help you there Redclanger, but for us it is swings and roundabouts having turned 60 back in January I received received a letter informing me of my winter fuel allowance for the coming winter which at the end of the day I have already paid for in taxes and national insurance, also having part of my share portfolio in a couple of the gas companies and utilities I suppose I'm one of the lucky ones :)

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 16:02:04 »
Borlotti

I don't think you have to worry about sticking with the company - all you asked them for was a fixed price for the gas you use - you have not tied yourself to them as a supplier for that time - there is no contract on your part to stay with them!

Carry on looking - there are still several out there and 30% is a huge increase methinks!

Good luck with it.

Incidentally - I tried some of my Borlotti beans the other night - was not that impressed with them as I steamed them and they are a bit stringy!  Maybe I will just use the beans inside!

Old Bird

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 16:09:48 »
And remind me again who created this farce of a system that lines the pockets of the rich at the expense of the poor

com now, brother red, are you saying that the Tories invented capitalism?!?! I'm sure Maggie would be flattered!

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 17:12:49 »
No but they unfettered it and and nationalised Gas etc solely for the purposes of bribing the electorate.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 18:43:06 »
No but they unfettered it and and nationalised Gas etc solely for the purposes of bribing the electorate.

Well blow me, and here was I thinking that it was the post WWII Attlee government that nationalised anything that moved.  My history teacher must have got it wrong.

Or did you mean denationalised. ;D

valmarg

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2008, 20:13:29 »
I bet more people will be buying slow cookers. My daughters are going to try mine to see what they think.
Janet.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2008, 22:14:30 »
Not us grannyjanny, in our experience they are rubbish.

valmarg

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal