Author Topic: Anchor Spreadable Butter  (Read 28825 times)

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
Re: Anchor Spreadable Butter
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2008, 08:02:38 »
They used to use 'liquid paraffin' for baking during the war.

How about writing to Anchor for a recipe for using their product for baking?

Tell them how wonderful you find it and you never know, you might get a freebee too.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2008, 10:29:06 »
Good idea Purple
 ;) Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2008, 12:04:18 »
I use possibly half a pound of butter every couple of months - I do not bake cakes or anything like that!  But what is wrong with buying the correct ingredients for cakes and the like?!

I use butter for a bit of frying - the occasional spread on ryvitas or whatever. But my point is WHY does anyone use these manufactured spreads.  Why pay for added water.  Surely you can spread butter thinner - if you are watching your weight or worried about animal fats - by letting it get warm and spread thinly.  I used to buy Clover - which I thought at the time was great - but again someone told me that some scientists say that these mixes can cause cancer.

As I say, my diet is now pretty much animal fat free - I eat meat maybe once every couple of weeks or so -I probably eat half a dozen eggs a week and  I buy semi skimmed milk but use only a two or three pints a week - the rest of the time it is veggie diet - and I seem to be pretty fit on it!

Old Bird

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2008, 12:10:09 »
What's the expression? "Don't eat anything your great grandmother wouldn't recognise as food"  ??? ??? ???
The Tuscan Beaneater

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2008, 12:52:40 »
Use butter without all the additives, butter in moderation is better for you than all the other butter-like products that have various added (and removed) chemicals to make them look like butter. Just don't over eat.
Oh and if using anchor butter reduce the salt in your recipe salted butter means you won't need as much.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2008, 13:21:50 »
i always used to use butter but for some reason thought that spreadable butter was butter ! When I used to use anchor spreadable it wasn't all that soft at all. But I have recently found out that they have changed their formulation and now add vegetable oil and some water to make it more spreadable. I think Kerry are the only people to make a softer butter without added oil and water. 

Duke

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2008, 14:37:48 »
Hiya Duke

How come then that it is more pliable.  The very thing about butter is that if it is cold it doesn't spread.  Butter is butter wherever it is made!  They must add something or else it would be like every other butter!

Old Bird

;D

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2008, 15:58:18 »
Hey old Bird !!

This is what I copied from the Kerry Gold www page! ~~~
*Most other 'spreadables' are actually blends of butter and vegetable oil. In fact, they can contain up to 31% vegetable oil. Vegetable oil is an inexpensive ingredient by comparison to pure butter fat and the type of vegetable oil added in these products is usually not declared, with the result that consumers do not know the source or origin or the extent of industrial processing to which the product has been subjected.

In stark contrast, Kerrygold Softer Butter is exactly that. It is 100% pure tasty Irish butter, which has been made softer naturally, so there is no need to add vegetable oil.

How do we make our butter softer?
By a combination of careful milk selection and a gentle cream crystallisation process. Kerrygold use only the milk from cows that graze naturally on the lush summer pastures of Ireland. *

Not sure what this means but they make it sound good! ;)

Duke

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2008, 16:42:20 »
Yes it is like the advert that says free range cows - pretty much every milk producing cow is free range - except in the winter when they are kept indoors!

It is a load of rubbish what these butter manufacturers put out!  It is basically to sell more butter - but when have you ever asked for free range butter or milk?  Organic yes but free range - that is where cows live - in fields!

Old Bird!

;D

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2008, 17:34:50 »
Actually that was the slogan pretty much I sent to an anchor competition in the mid 1980's I didn't win the prize but a few years later they started using the slogan I sent them.
New to the UK and working for an agricultural college I was taken on a tour with new recruits around the top UK dairy herd etc After which I would have become a confirmed vegan having seen how these poor animals lived in their own muck for a good part of the year and had such sore feet on the hard floors they could hardly stand. Plus the crap they seemed to be feeding them (later proved very correct there!) looked disgusting.
Animals in New Zealand aren't fed on that rubbish but eat grass in summer and supplemented with Hay and silage (grass) and fodder crops in winter. They don't spend the winter in a shed sitting in their own muck.

Hence anchor's claim is correct.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal