Author Topic: growing climbing rose in container?  (Read 3353 times)

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
growing climbing rose in container?
« on: July 20, 2008, 21:10:33 »
I know people do grow roses in large containers or raised beds, and I'd like to have a rose growing round the door of our house. Some previous owner has tarmac-ed over the front garden gggrr!!

But the only location is where a drainpipe comes down and empties into a drain. Is the drainpipe going to be a useful source of water (in dry Sussex)  or a problem - swamping the rose in wet weather?

does anyone have any experience of this?

ACE

• Hectare
Re: growing climbing rose in container?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 07:49:39 »
Most tarmac is laid over a ballast called type one which is easy to loosen and dig out. You can cut a hole anywhere in the tarmac and make a new planting hole wherever you want. Get a thin metal rod and hammer in the ground first to see if it is possible.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 20:33:48 »
It's interesting to know we could potentially make holes in the tarmac. Eventually we'd like to get rid of all of it.

But even if there were no tarmac, the only location for a climbing plant is next to the door, where the drainpipe empties into the drain. So I'm just wondering whether that would work - good for watering the plants or good for waterlogging them?

Brogusblue

• Acre
  • I love roses and have nearly 80 of them.
    • SRS - Shredder Repair Services
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 17:28:49 »
Hello

You can grow most roses in pots or containers with the exception of large climbers and ramblers ideal height is around 8ft to 12ft. It is important that the container be large enough to provide ample space for the roots; also to have good drainage, good soil and a location with adequate light and air circulation.When Planting put in the bottom put about 1" of gravel or small stones and a good soil mixture I use mushroom & manure mixed with general purpose also mix in some rootgrow to get it started also when planting a rose make sure the soil is in line with the bud union. Roses don't like to be to waterlogged but containers dry out more quickly than soil in the ground; it is important to water container roses often, especially during long periods of drought and heat. A quick spot-check for dryness will determine whether a rose needs to be watered. Scratch about an inch down into the soil. If it is totally dry the rose is in need of fluid.

I hope this helps, I am thinking of planting a weeping standard in a 1/2 barrel?? it depends on your space just bear in mind if you use a clay pot it may crack in winter. As for tarmac you could use a angle grinder and cut a patch out and see whats underneath??

Cheers
Brogusblue
I have been infected by the "rose virus"  ... I have surrendered to my addiction gracefully. There's no recovery"   On the other hand, imagine life without roses – a dreadful thought!

The Royal National Rose Society
                                     www.rnrs.org

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 18:35:17 »
Hello! I'm agreeing totally with Brogetc...and particularly about the importance of air circulation at the back (wall-side) of the plants. I once successfully grew 2 climbers - think it was Iceberg, something like that? - in 2 tubs to form a nice frame to a sitting area against part of the house - tied in to trellis I'd pinned into the wall. Changed the top bit of soil every year & then  top-dressed with horse muck. Was really successful til I moved and took the rose plants (but not the wall ::)) with me, so yes. go for it, gal 8)

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 21:25:00 »
Thanks both of you for your encouragement. But really it was the drain pipe I was asking about - would it be a useful source of water for the plant, or would it waterlog the rose in winter?

I;m not sure whether anyone has experience of planting next to drainpipe outlets.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 22:19:58 »
A drainpipe produces a lot of water when it's wet, and it could easily waterlog it in winter. If you wanted the water, you could run it into a water butt with an overflow into the drain.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 20:39:35 »
yes that would be the ideal thing, wouldn't it. Controllable water source!

But there's sadly no room for waterbutt and container, so I think it might be I have to forget my twee idea of a rose growing round the door!

Perhaps I should grow something which doesnt need so much soil and such a big container, and then there would be room for drain and pot. (Though not waterbutt I'm afraid)

It requires a rethink!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal