Author Topic: What a feeling!  (Read 1622 times)

netty

• Not So New ...
What a feeling!
« on: July 25, 2008, 15:01:06 »
Hi this is my first posting as I am very new to allotmenteering..took over my very neglected plot in April and it has been an uphill battle against bram :) :)bles ,marestail etc.But....dug up my first ever grown potatoes and runner beans yesterday wow what a feeling ! We ate them for tea with a little butter and pepper they were gorgeous ! Going to spend most of this year getting the plot into shape but cant wait for next year when I will be growing everything I can It is so rewarding and exciting.Does this excitement fade over the years I wonder? Hope not!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: What a feeling!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 15:06:48 »
hiya, netty, welcome to the site, 36 years and still amazed  ;D

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 15:12:55 »
Welcome netty to the healthy addiction. ;D

valmarg

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 15:14:40 »
Welcome to the site Netty.... I've done 15 years on this site and still enjoying the challenge, if it gets tame they can always find you a neglected plot to tame. One man on our site loves taking over and clearing a site... must be on his 6th location, to my knowledge!!   :-\

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 15:22:28 »
Welcome to A4A, have fun.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 15:47:23 »
Welcome to A4A, Netty - the excitement never goes - but be prepared for a few disappointments as well as successes.  Our first year we had bumper crops of everything - in subsequent years we found out that there are swings and roundabouts, but we're used to it now (this is our sixth allotment year).

Just remember - don't do too much hard labour at once (frequent rests, to stand back and admire your achievements) and take lots of photos.

Good luck  :) :) :) :) :)
The Tuscan Beaneater

netty

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 15:58:47 »
Thanks all and what a great website will be making full use of it . :)

beanie3

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 21:11:37 »
welcome netty....

I am only in my second year but i am hooked line and sinker - just love it.....and i doubt it will go away just love it.

For my tea tonight i had runner beans, french beans, broad beans, peas and potatoes (and some fish but that was bought!)  How very satisfying.

Take note of all the posts just take it easy and enjoy it - dont try to do too much too soon. :D

goldendaisy123

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 21:18:24 »
welcome Netty
I'm only in my second year with my allotment and having a fab time. There are highs and lows this year poor onion crop for me but fabulous carrots, but the thrill of popping down to the lottie and see whats happening or whats ready to eat never seems to go!

We have just had a lovely supper of c Tuna Nicoise Salad (our french beans lettuce, onions) with warm courgette bread straight from the oven - divine! :P
Have a great time and enjoy :)

KathrynH

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 21:31:49 »
Ditto all the other comments. I've had my plot 10 years now and still get that child like excitement at being able to pick/dig up my own produce and eat it the same day. The first strawberry of the season is always a special occasion!

It's true that some crops fail dismally and you often have no idea why but the successes more than make up for it. For me, I have met such lovely people on the other plots and made so many good friends as well the rewards are even greater.

netty

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 22:54:45 »
I agree Kathryn in the short time that I have had my plot I have met some lovely people who are all ready to give advice and encouragement, spare plants and a cheery wave as you pass .Its fab and I am loving every minute of it.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 23:08:00 »
My first year too on our allotment....we started in March on an overgrown plot we put our shed up in Hailstones and spend weeks digging in mud. It took us eight trips to the local rubbish dump on one cold Saturday. At the end of a day on our allotment I have come home exhausted but have loved that exhausted feeling. Ive met some lovely people I love it to bits. I cant wait for next year when I am more organised with growing more vegetables. What I have acheived has been a bonus this year. I really didn't think I was going to be able to grow any vegetables at all considering how weedy and overgrown our plot was. Right now I have a very rampant pumpkin ...runner beans...sweetcorn.. various lettuces ...some beetroot ...four parsnips(dont ask)!! swiss chard ..french beans..leeks and some tomatoes :) ooh and butternut squash. I am loving it loving it loving it !!

Duke ;D
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2008, 11:22:56 »
Have Fun netty. Don't forget the pictures. We like pics on here.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

nittynora

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2008, 22:08:33 »
Have Fun netty. Don't forget the pictures. We like pics on here.

[attachment=1]

This morning's harvest........  I love July!!

Great feeling (the blackfly have had their chance - now it's our turn!!) ;D

nittynora

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2008, 22:10:35 »
............ Don't quite know why there are two versions of the picture.......!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2008, 22:14:45 »
Allotments can be like a good wine I guess. Could mature with age.  ;D  Welcome
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal