Author Topic: "My" Wednesday "pet"  (Read 5564 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
"My" Wednesday "pet"
« on: August 09, 2004, 09:48:00 »
Well not mine and not exactly a pet, but this is Joe who I ride for his owner every Wednesday.

Joe is a 16-year-old 16 hands high Thoroughbred gelding. He raced as a youngster, but just didn't have the attitude to win (he's far too laid back). Although he is fast - believe me!

He's got fantastic breeding - his sire (dad) is one of the top racing stallions in Europe and his uncle was Nashwan.

But we don't care about all that - he's a really lovely old gentleman!
gone to pot :D

Plocket

• Hectare
  • Clematis Crystal Fountain
    • Plocket's Clematis Site
Re:"My" Wednesday "pet"
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2004, 14:06:22 »
Beautiful! A bit of a poser as well by the look of it!!!
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2004, 14:09:33 »
Plocket - I was waving a packet of polos at him to make him smile for the camera. Like all horses, he'd do anything for a mint!

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2004, 14:27:09 »
Ha ha! If it were me taking the picture you would see my hand or the mints!!! He is a stunner!
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2004, 15:41:19 »
Aqui, he's lovely and looks like he has a lovely nature as well. My little Jessica (3) is all excited as she's just spotted your photo on the screen, she loves horses, and is now pretend riding her toy farm horse around the living room, don't think it will be long before she starts demanding riding lessons.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Pixie

• Acre
  • Chorlton the magical happiness dragon
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2004, 16:12:29 »
how hansome!!
"Jump in, we'll take you for a spin, and show you round the Wheelie World..."

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2004, 16:20:49 »
Little Plocket is desperate to ride a horse. They have a carousel at Knowsley Safari Park and she went on it ten times without getting off. And then went back for more later!

We went to a farm a few weeks ago and she had a pony ride. While we were queueing she saw a shire horse and decided she wanted to ride that! Her face when she got off the fairly large pony was a picture! And now she wants a pony for her birthday!

I keep telling her she can ride a horse when she is a big girl. She is only two after all, nearly three.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2004, 16:33:06 »
Plocket and Jess - you've got an expensive time ahead!  ;D I didn't start riding until I was 13. At which point I was old enough to work for my riding lessons (first through earning pocket money off my parents, then by working at the riding school!)

And despite bugging my parents for years about wanting my own, they were too mean  ;) to buy me one, poor deprieved child!  ;D I didn't get my first horse until I was 26 (that didn't last long either - he was far too big and a total thug!)

But now I've found Joe and I wouldn't have it any other way.  :-*

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2004, 16:37:54 »
I didn't say that she could have lessons! Mum and dad's neighbours are farmers and have horses. They have said that Little Plocket can ride theirs when she is bigger. But I haven't told her that!

I enquired about lessons locally and was surprised that they start at age 4! I think she will have to wait a bit longer than that! Or I will have to find a better job than my very part-time one!

eileen

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2004, 16:51:50 »
WOW Aqui - he's magnificent!!!!! I wouldn't mind saddling him up and setting off on a nice long ride out I can tell you.  :P (nearest I can get to a 'drool' emoticon.)

Boy do I miss horseriding. What a handsome lad he is. You can just see he has some really good breeding in his blood can't you?

Thanks for sharing his photograph with us.

Strange I seemed to have turned a funny shade of green - now I wonder why .......could it be jealousy - yep sure is!!!!

Eileen.

EILEEN.

Life is like nectar sweet but sometimes sticky.

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2004, 18:55:07 »
Oh Aqui - he is beautiful.  Horses are one of my all time passions.  My only regret is that I never had the opportunity to learn to ride.
What wouldn't I give to have a Wednesday friend like that :) :)
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2004, 19:32:17 »
Aqui I also will delay the horse riding lessons as long as possible although I would like Jessica to learn to ride some day, it is the best thing ever. Trouble is if she's anything like me she will want more adventure and challenge and that's when it will get expensive, I somehow think eventing and owning her own horse is well out of my budget.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2004, 00:17:35 »
A good looking boy, but horses absolutely terrify me! I have never had a bad experience of them, but they are soooooooo big with such biiiiiiiig teeth....shudder!  My dad once took me to see the Police horses in Wandsworth, and they were such big shiny beasts.....with even bigger shinier teeth!

Avas daughter has riding lessons and loves it.  Our number one daughter thinks she would like riding lessons, but can't stand being up on anything that isn't stable, so can't see her liking it much.  phew, won't cost me a fortune, and I won't have to try to overcome my fear!  :-\

eileen

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2004, 00:33:53 »
Good one EJ ".....but can't stand being up on anything that isn't stable" HeHe

Eileen.

EILEEN.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2004, 21:04:44 »
The most fantastic horse or what.   Oh so handsome. :P

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2004, 09:27:07 »
Oh he is such an angel. There's a dressage competition at the yard in a couple of weeks and we had our first practise at the test yesterday - he went beautifully. The only mistakes were mine (not asking for turns right, mostly). He got a huge cuddle and then I let him have a good roll in the sand. He was a happy boy!

eileen

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2004, 14:51:59 »
Can you get someone to take a piccie of you at the competition Aqui PRETTY PLEASE????? I'd love to see you 'in the saddle.'
Seems such a long, long time since I was involved in all things horsey.  :'( :'(

Eileen.

EILEEN.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2004, 15:18:18 »
I'll try. Mr Aqui normally does the photos. But he won't be there (it's during the day, so he's working). No one else is allowed on my camera! I have loads of photos of me riding. Some are scanned in. I still have to scan in some of me on Joe.

I'll see what I can rustle up for you!

Are you too far away to come and watch?

eileen

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2004, 16:17:56 »
'Fraid so Aqui - I'm in West Lothian in Scotland and have to rely on Ian driving me about as I've not got my confidence back yet when it comes to using public transport on my own.

That doesn't mean to say that I won't be rooting for you though!! I'll be thinking of you when you win!!!

Eileen.

EILEEN.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2004, 16:25:29 »
blimey - of course you're in scotland - how could I forget!

I'm riding twice - once doing a no canter test (ie - the easy one) on my favourite school pony (little monster that he is!) and the other time doing Prelim 7 on Joe. I doubt we'll win - but I hope to beat my last score and will be riding my best! I can't wait!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal