Author Topic: Travel Republic - non-existent room types  (Read 832 times)

keef

• Hectare
Travel Republic - non-existent room types
« on: July 28, 2008, 22:28:09 »
A word of warning....

We've just returned from a Holiday booked through Travel Republic. It's the first time we've used them, and feel like we've been conned out of some ££'s.

After searching about we found the destination and the hotel we wanted to stay at, however we really wanted a sea view room if possible, but none were availible on the dates we could go away. The only rooms availible were for the following room types,

Twin / Double Room - Inland View
Twin / Double Room - Garden View A

The latter was more expensive, but we really didn't want to end up in a room looking into the back side of a hill or another building - so we opted for the Garden View room and paid the extra.

Before going on the holiday we tried to contact the hotel directly to see if we could upgrade the room type to a sea view - that's when it got confusing. The hotel owner said he only had a booking from us for a Double Room - Inland View ??? Anyway - seeing as it was all booked - and we were off in a few days - we decided to leave it until we got there to sort it out.

When we arrived the hotel owner said that he only had two types of Double / Twin room, Inland View and Sea View - Garden View A did not exist, meaning we had paid Travel Republic some extra £'s for what sounded like a better room, when paying less £'s for the more basic sounding room - would have resulted in us getting the exactly same type of room when we arrived regardless.

In my opinion this is mis-selling by Travel Republic - ie we paid for a room type that did'nt exist at this particular hotel - but we actually got given a cheaper room type - not what we paid for. Does anyone else think so, what are our chances of getting a partial refund ??

Apart from this the Hotel and Holiday was first class i'm glad to report.

One thing I have learnt is that it's probably better to try and book flight only - and book the hotel directly, if we had done this we would have saved a few £'s in all eventualities. If this isn't possible (ie all you can get is a flight + hotel package) book the cheapest room type - and contact the hotel directly for a room upgrade.
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Travel Republic - non-existent room types
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 22:37:11 »
You should as a minimum get a refund of the difference betwen the cost of the room you paid for and the room you got.  Did you contact Travel Republic while you were there - you are usually expected to let the operator know as soon as possible so that they have a chance to put things right.  If not, you may have to fight a bit harder - do you have evidence from the hotel of what kind of room they gave you?

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 22:41:08 »
They are an ABTA member Keef, any probs with mis-selling, ABTA have the powers to put their members right and sort out any compensation.
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 23:04:12 »
You should as a minimum get a refund of the difference betwen the cost of the room you paid for and the room you got.  Did you contact Travel Republic while you were there - you are usually expected to let the operator know as soon as possible so that they have a chance to put things right.  If not, you may have to fight a bit harder - do you have evidence from the hotel of what kind of room they gave you?

No we did'nt try an contact them when there as there we had no rep, the booking was kind of direct with the hotel, ie through Travel Republic, and then Youtravel.com, not Olympic / Thomson / Ist Choice etc.. I could have phoned them back here in the UK i suppose.

I can get a copy of the booking info recieved by the hotel, and have a copy of what we originally booked - this will show the difference in what we booked and what the hotel were told we booked.

They are an ABTA member Keef, any probs with mis-selling, ABTA have the powers to put their members right and sort out any compensation.

They shall be getting an email.....
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal