Author Topic: glass or polycarbonate?  (Read 1930 times)

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
glass or polycarbonate?
« on: July 28, 2008, 16:43:49 »
Hi

A group of us are thinking of buying either a coldframe or a growhouse as a wedding gift for some friends.  I've been given the job of looking for one.  There seems to be 2 basic kinds on the market, those with glass (toughened or horticultural) and those with polycarbonate.
Doeas anyone have any experience of growing under polycarbonate, just wondering how it compares to glass?  They are planning on starting a family so I figured that would be the safest option.

Many thanks

SP x

silly billy

• Acre
Re: glass or polycarbonate?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 17:01:16 »
Can't argue with polycarbonate being the safest but glass outlasts polycarbonate and performs better in the wind. We often see polys losing their sheets after some windy weather. With children though priority must go to their safety. I have used trellis around mine to help prevent anyone/anything hitting it and in the past I have used chicken wire.
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 17:13:27 »
In my opinion; polycarbonate, is not as safe as it is made out to be particularly after it has been subjected to UV rays for a time

It becomes quite brittle with age and a child falling on to it could be lacerated quite severely because it does not shatter, i.e. the shards can remain in place causing the lacerating as the child falls through it, whereas glass shatters and is quite likely to be under or scattered away from where the child ends up .

Both are not truly safe but I prefer glass for the reasons I have said plus glass is better to grow under.

I found with my children I got them involved with what I was doing from an early age so they were aware of what could happen. The only time we had potential problems was when their friends came round to play and they all become quite boisterous so then we (the parents) had to be more on guard.

So as always basically nothing is 'accident proof' but with care and attention accidents can be avoided.

I hope that answers your question.

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 17:25:00 »
Thanks both, that's been really helpful.  Certainly useful to get advice regarding children!

SP

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 17:31:33 »
One other thing I just remember reading somewhere is that glass doesn't insulate as well as polycarbonate..is this a problem, or if I go with glass should I look for something with wooden sides?

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 11:33:48 »
just line it with polystyrene sheets in the winter!
You couldn't make it up!

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 12:31:23 »
i have been using a poly greenhouse in my rear garden and has two fence panels one to the side and one to the rear of the greenhouse , i have had good results this year the roof is semi clear so my toms arnt burning so much as a glass house would the temp has been about average .
and as for storm damaged cant say have had any thing as yet
we are also at the top of the welsh valley mountin and the wind has been severe enough to blow two of my fencing panels down but green house has stood the test of time but isnt out in the open as said earlier its in the corner of the garden and shelted by two sides

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal