Author Topic: Toms  (Read 1450 times)

jordsbabe

• Half Acre
Toms
« on: July 27, 2008, 13:56:05 »
 I really don't think i'm going to get any toms this year, i am trying to grow millions, the flowers have only just satartd showing, by the time the toms come the sun would've gone, and that is if i do get any toms!  ???

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Toms
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 19:29:43 »
If that was the case, we would get no more Tomatoes. We have many trusses just in flower & we hope they will all mature.

Indoor or out? People should specify.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 19:50:12 »
there's plenty of time even for outdoors - best part of 6/52, might have to fleece some nights later on, and there are all those lovely green tomato recipes to hand  ;D

jordsbabe

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 20:29:05 »
Sorry they are outdoor! I'm just a bit jittery, i'm a first timer!

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 08:51:42 »
Sorry they are outdoor! I'm just a bit jittery, i'm a first timer!

What kind?

I'm in Scotland and have Sungolds outside which are setting really well.  You cant beat these Sungold!  ;)

Astronomy, Veggies & Beer

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 15:10:10 »
I wouldn't worry just yet, mine have almost ripe fruit and the fruit only appeared a short time ago (about a fortnight). They can grow amazingly fast once the weather is kindly.
Don't forget that they then give fruit until quite late, all through September at least and then you can remove leaves, cover them with plastic to speed up ripening.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 16:11:40 »
Looks like I am in for a bumper crop!

Trouble is I think because of the ripening delay I am going to get a glut altogether.

If thats the case I had better make some space in the freezer then look forward to tomato puree done in dozens of ways.

jordsbabe

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 20:29:52 »
Thats a good idea! i'll swap tomatoe recipies lol!

KathrynH

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 21:30:13 »
When it's too cold and dark to go to the allottment, reach into the freezer and just think how welcome a steaming bowl of pasta with fresh tomato sauce will be!  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal