Author Topic: thought this was interesting  (Read 2375 times)

sunner

• Not So New ...
thought this was interesting
« on: July 08, 2008, 11:13:17 »
this was in my local paper thought it was interesting does seem a waste to me but they are building  over a lot of allotments so they dont care

What 'allot' of waste!

THEY are among the most sought after pieces of land in Hampshire.

As the credit crunch bites ever deeper, greater numbers of people are trying to cut their food bills by growing their own vegetables on an allotment.

Hundreds of residents are currently on waiting lists to get a prized plot to avoid food inflation running at more than seven per cent.

Today the Daily Echo can reveal that one council has left dozens of allotments to go to rack and ruin in the face of huge demand.

Plots vacated over the past six years at Woodside Allot-ments, in Woodside Avenue, Eastleigh, have been left abandoned - despite the fact there are now more than 250 people on the waiting list and the council has a legal duty to provide enough allotment space for its residents

Woodside does not appear on Eastleigh Borough Council's list of sites and therefore, according to the remaining occupants of the site, might as well be invisible. There are now 35 full size plots unoccupied - over one third of the site - at Woodside, the largest remaining allotment site in Eastleigh. Some vacant plots have been carpeted over to stop them overgrowing with weeds. Others have turned into mini meadows.
advertisement

Council chiefs say it is because the site is reserved for housing, although no planning consent, or even permission to dispose of the allotments, has yet to be granted.

Jeff Dunn, who has rented a Woodside allotment for seven years, said: "Woodside does not appear on the council's list, but we are definitely here!

"There are empty plots here that people could be growing things on. I'm extremely sad that's not happening.

"The council is tearing the heart out of the allotments service because this is a shining example of everything that is good in allotment gardening."

Fellow Woodside allotment gardener Tony Murrills, secretary of the 500-member East-leigh and Bishopstoke Allot-ments Co-operative Associ-ation, said: "Seventy people could have a half-size plot and be off the waiting list. But this is the invisible site - it does not exist as far as the public is concerned.

"Why have those plots not been released to the waiting list?"

The council must submit a planning application, which it can grant itself, but also get Govern-ment permission to dispose of any allotments.

A spokesman for East-leigh Borough Council said there were currently 255 people on its allotments waiting list.

He said: "The council is not taking new tenants at Woodside because the site has been allocated for housing in the district plan that was adopted in May 2006. Woodside does not appear on the council's list of sites for the same reason. But the council has always envisaged the retention of some allotments at Woodside.

"We are managing the current waiting list. The current turnover is about five plots per week."

« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 11:20:02 by sunner »

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: thought this was interesting
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 18:09:46 »
Well, it's cheap land isn't it - & building is more important than personal survival?

Gordon - waste not......??

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 21:07:04 »
Some of the people on the waiting list should get together and take the  council to court. If there are more than a dozen people, they have to supply allotments. The council has empty allotments.

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 12:25:09 »
I agree, by "managing" occupancy of this site they are assuming that they will get permission to build. I don't believe they can do that when they have such a sizeable waiting list - unless they have committed to plans to create a new site elsewhere of similar size for both existing and prospective tenants.

Busby

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 13:25:57 »
I'm always amazed about the number of back gardens that just go to waste. If you travel to London by rail from the south coast you'll see thousands of such potential vegetable plots all covered in weed, concrete, waste or other rubbish... What's wrong with these people?

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 11:32:54 »
I'm always amazed about the number of back gardens that just go to waste. If you travel to London by rail from the south coast you'll see thousands of such potential vegetable plots all covered in weed, concrete, waste or other rubbish... What's wrong with these people?
You're right about lots of gardens going to waste, but maybe things are changing for the better. Apart from a huge upsurge in allotment activity (our waiting list has gone from 15 to 60 in the past year, turnover of plots has plummeted and upkeep of plots has noticeably improved), more and more people in my part of London are digging up the concrete at the front of their houses and creating small gardens. There has also been a sudden big upsurge of gardening activity in my road, where gardening used to be a minority activity. There are some lovely back gardens now - 3 local people opened up their gardens through the National Garden Scheme this year. Reasons to be cheerful! :)
Keep Calm and Carry On

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal