Allotment Stuff > The Basics

To Carpet or not to Carpet?

<< < (2/3) > >>

The gardener:
Like it Gavin  ;D ;D ;D

tim:
- where the hell do people keep getting carpets from?

And have you ever tried to lift a big one - slugs and all - on a wet but frosty day? Superhuman?
And where do you store it? Or how do you get it to the tip? And would they take it?  Never tried, as you may guess! = Tim

Ceri:
I black plasticked a lot of my lottie in september when I first got my plot, after hoeing it all down - reasons for doing so - a. not enough time to dig out every bit of perennial weed and plant stuff and b. my soil is like oatmeal - very fine and very over-cultivated and not a lot of structure, so my feeling was that doing yet more digging pre-frosts would damage the structure further.  I weighted down plastic around the edges to exclude light.  Soil has done fine - no massive slug invasion or slimy soil - but I can see on clay soils it could cause problems

Mimi:
I have taken a 'full' plot as opposed to 1/2.  It being easier to give half up if too much, than to get half back once given up. So, what I need to know is how do I stop weeds spreading on one half, whilst working on the other? :-/ had thought of laying a covering of seaweed then covering with carpet or something else.  Any other good suggestions?

Doris_Pinks:
I use Big tarpaulin sheets from our local pound shop Mimi, has the advantage of keeping the area I am working on at the moment dryer too!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version