Author Topic: Pigeons  (Read 2509 times)

small

• Hectare
Pigeons
« on: March 28, 2024, 15:20:00 »
I would have liked to post something about this in Edible Plants, but...
i've had to relinquish most of my veg growing, but have tended my asparagus bed through drought and floods (it's been underwater at times this winter) and I was hoping for my first pick this weekend. I should have covered the bed as soon as I saw the first spears appear, because the sky rats have got there first. They have ignored my huge parsley plants, which are normally stripped by now, and majored on my pride and joy.  I wish they would eat asparagus beetles instead...

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Pigeons
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2024, 16:59:38 »
That's very dispiriting small.

I grow it here because I really don't like the white stuff the French and Germans prefer.  We've had an exceptionally wet winter since mid October so I hope we get a few more spears this year.  A bunch form Spain is currently costing 4€90 for a dozen spears.
Obxx - Vendée France

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2024, 06:14:38 »
I’m surprised that you were expecting asparagus spears this weekend, small. The last time I checked there was no sign of spears in my asparagus bed and I’m probably a little further south. You must have a nice warm sheltered spot for them. But hopefully all is not lost as asparagus keeps coming for a month or so at least so you can cover now and still enjoy much more to come. Commiserations though that you won’t have any for the holiday weekend.
How very voracious your pigeons are. I have pigeons which love brassicas and pea foliage but have never touched asparagus or parsley. Pigeon tastes must be very localised. It couldn’t be actual rats, could it? I always suspect ground rats first.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2024, 15:29:17 »
The asparagus get earlier every year. They were grown from seed a soon as we moved into this house, forty years ago next week, and are in a very open, often waterlogged site. They are an absolute miracle, whatever else I have to give up I shall carry on with them. There are plenty more shoots coming, this time netted  over!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2024, 10:19:09 »
The flying rats have never gone for my asparagus before, and I have five early spears showing, so I'd better check them again today!

small

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2024, 15:23:27 »
I cut and ate fifteen on Sunday! Only about six inches high, but it's a turning point. The next will be first potatoes out of my sheltered buckets....

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal