Author Topic: No runner beans this year?  (Read 4061 times)

gwynleg

• Hectare
No runner beans this year?
« on: July 12, 2015, 21:50:29 »
For the first time my runners are really struggling. I grew some in trays and planted them out in June I think. I also put some seeds in. The seeds have done better but all are covered in blackfly and just dont look great. I have put some feed in (which I never normally do), watered them well etc.

I love my runners (favourite vegetable). I am hoping that someone out there will reassure me that they could still buck up and give me some beans (or failing that thoughts about whether its just a bad year for blackly (my broad beans are also very badly affected) or something else?

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
Re: No runner beans this year?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 21:52:55 »
It's totally a bad year for blackflies. I'm afraid I can't be any more help, I grew runners for the first time last year and mine aren't flowering or anything yet this year...

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 06:15:18 »

if you think its the aphids that are draining the runners, try simple remedies of soapy vater(lux in solution), with a little salt.
As a last resort, I would spray them with an insecticide to clean them up. If they are not yet flowering, this will not affect the pollinators. Application of a foliar feed afterwards would give them a boost.
If they appear yellow in their foliage, then a remedy would be to water in sulphate of ammonia at root level, in moderation, or Phostrogen
If they are blooming but not setting(producing beanlets), then a mist spray of water at sunset can help.

Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 07:30:25 »
One guy on our site has great runner beans lots of flowers. He put a wind protection round to start with.  Everyone else is struggling.   

It definitely seems to be the year of the blackfly here too.  Never really suffered before certainly not on runners.   One variety Firestorm is caked in them.  However there are loads of ladybird lavae about, and loads of chrysalis (not sure that is the right term for a lady bird). No it's called a pupae.   So I am hoping they will soon get things undercontrol.   Some of mine have finally started to go up the poles above the curling blackfly leaves.   

Some of mine are starting to have flowers but few are opening. I am hoping this rain will wake them up.   But it has been very light.  Had hoped for a deluge.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 07:43:42 »
I have only seen two ladybirds this year so far, and we have lots of blackfly too.  Thankfully those two were engaged in activity that suggests there might be more soon   :tongue3:  :icon_cheers:   :wave:

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 07:52:48 »
There are some nice pics of ladybirds including the lavae and pupae on this site.  I had no idea there were so many different types.

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk/ladybirds.html

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 08:11:56 »
Love, love Runners too  :drunken_smilie:

Mine aren't doing nearly so well as usual and although they have been flowering for a while they are very slow to set flowers despite one variety being Firestorm, which is meant to self set. But I'm hopeful they will kick in very soon.

Blackfly do take their toll on a plant and if you can remove as many as possible your plants I'm sure will thank you and they still have time to buck up and settle down to producing lots of lovely beans. It's generally been very dry, not much rain about which doesn't help, perhaps a little extra water for them?
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 13:27:33 »
I'm growing Moonlight and Cobra beans in large containers - as I do every year - and have already had a first picking from each wigwam. Yes, there are blackfly here and there, but so far I've been able to squish them or remove badly affected leaves and stems. They get watered daily and fed weekly with a small handful of chicken manure pellets dissolved in a five litre bucket of water. Works well for me!

Tricia :wave:

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 14:07:33 »
ive had a few black fly probs  but my beans are romping away 3 carrier full bags already
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 15:53:24 »
I spotted some blackfly last week and give them a soapy/salty spray.  That got rid of the little sods. But right next door to my runners I have climbing French beans with very succulent growing tips, not a bit of blackfly anywhere on those. I should be cropping his weekend on the runners, I reckon the wind slowed them down, plenty of pollinators about as there are beehives on the site.

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 16:01:51 »
Thanks all. Interesting as a couple of you have mentioned Firestorm which is the variety I am trying for the first time this year - I wonder if this is not as good as other varieties?. My climbing french beans are doing great and I have begun to crop from those - a little blackfly but not much.

I was going to use the soapy water option but the ladybirds and little pupae things have started a comeback and I dont want to kill them too. johhnyco15 - I am jealous of 3 carrier bags full!

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 16:34:19 »
Interesting as a couple of you have mentioned Firestorm which is the variety I am trying for the first time this year - I wonder if this is not as good as other varieties?.

This is the third year in a row I've grown them, they are good bean, usually lots of lovely tender pods and I'd happily grow them again. Only drawback for me really is they are not quite as runner beany tasting as some runners!
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

queenslandblue

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2015, 17:11:40 »
I also have firestorm which are doing extremely well, good lot of beans with plenty forming and no Black fly. My second batch which where set a month after the Firestorm is "Equator", they have caught up with the Firestorm and look like overtaking them. First time I have grown them, they have a much paler green foliage with white flower and supposed to be good for early and late cropping, also drought resistant. had no black fly on my broad bean "Robin Hood" nor on my dwarf bean. 

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2015, 22:04:11 »
this year I'm growing 4 types snowstorm firestorm moonlight and enorma elite there all cropping well best so far is the enorma elite
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal