Author Topic: Most sucessfull weed in your Garden/lottie this year.  (Read 11926 times)

Steven

• Quarter Acre
  • Heaven or hell..?
Re: Most sucessfull weed in your Garden/lottie this year.
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2005, 19:34:45 »
At this time of year-sycamore seedlings which pop up everywhere and dandylions in summer.

Suppose it serves me right for living near fields with loads of sycamore trees... ;)
Talk to the elbow-its got a point

Berty

• Not So New ...
  • Slugs.. Why I oughta!!
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2005, 15:02:31 »
My "best" weed is Dock. I can grow it for England. I have have dug out all the deep roots but the soil must have a huge bank of the devils. Fat hen is another but it is easily pulled up and goes in the compost 
I haven't said this before but I'm going to say it now..I like double digging!
www.mrmattock.blogspot.com

Jane the Novice

• Half Acre
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2005, 16:14:08 »
Since I have a v.small garden and I'm always scratching about I'm forever trying to pull the oxalis. It gets everywhere and covers all my wee plants. However I went out the other day and guess what I bought.....yes....some more oxalis but on a very large scale and with the most beautiful burgundy leaves

clairenpaul

• Half Acre
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2005, 16:21:38 »
Never ending battle with marestail in the garden, when we took over the house the garden was full of the stuff and I don't think we'll ever get rid of it.

At the lottie the main problem is dandelions which I think will also be ongoing because a chap gave up 10 plots not far from us and they are totally covered with them now so as fast as we get them up they'll reseed. Still it keeps us out of mischief.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2005, 17:00:53 »
I used to get enormous flushes of weeds all the time; after six years that's no longer much of a problem as most of the viable seeds seem to have germinated. My worst weed now that I've largely sorted out the couch and the bindweed is ground elder. I get lots of docks sprouting, but at least they stay in one place and don't spread. I used to get a lot of Himalayan balsam but that's easy to deal with; it's shallow rooted and the seeds only remain viable for a couple of years, so I don't get many coming up now. You just keep pulling it before it flowers.

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2005, 19:55:55 »
Mares Tail.  Means you have water deep, deep down under your plot.  A tremendous nuisance but does't do any harm.  Bind weed!  A pain in the butt and, like ground elder,just have to keep digging out the root as deep as you can, year after year if you want to stay green.

Dandelions are easier, just fork deep and you will get the r
oot out!

Oh whoops!  Oxalis!  tiny, tiny bulbs at the bottom of each leaf!  Plant it, you'll never get rid of it!  Very pretty but a pain if you are trying to grow other things!  The burgandy leaved ones are the worst for propogating themselves!

Gardenantics, the astilbe loves water so maybe it's taking more than the mare's tail needs- perhaps!

:D
Muddy Boots

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2005, 23:25:29 »
DANDELIONS DONATED BY A NEARBY NEIGHBOUR (Don't start me on that rant again) I am glad to see that I am not the only one who doesn't know the names of weeds. Seriously it is the dandelions that give me the trouble.. as for the others I don't suppose I could pronounce their names let along spell them ;D Night all. Lorna

Marley Farley

• Acre
  • May all your plants grow well!!
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2005, 08:44:42 »
;D Hi all, Well as usual I have two. Bindweed & groundelder. I keep on top of them, but can't quite get rid of them >:( >:( I know I'm not alone on this!!!!!
"I consider every plant hardy until I have killed it myself".

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2005, 12:38:25 »
bindweed was big problem at lottie last year but so far this year my beds aren't too bad.  It is controllable anyway.  My nightmare this year is buttercup!  It is everywhere and impossible to get out of the hard ground.   My son thinks it is lovely and keeps picking the flowers for me and can't understand why I keep hacking at it with spades and forks!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2005, 17:18:22 »
What sort of buttercup? If it's the creeping buttercup I have it's a menace, you just have to keep on clearing it out, and don't let it flower.

selwyn-smith

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2005, 18:40:58 »
Down on my lottie the weeds hardest to deal  with are masses of bind weed that attacks my fruit bushes, and so much horsetail, you wouldn't believe it, but one of the most annoying weeds have is FAT HEN. I know its easy to hand weed, but you just have to turn your back on a new weed, sorry seed bed
and there is the most uniform covering of the stuff an absolute carpet, looking very like the seeds that are coming up . It drives me mad!!!! Ahh thats better

return of the mac

• Acre
  • I aint sayin she a tattie digger...
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2005, 18:49:49 »
Ive got a bit of everything- dandelion, dock, buttercup, thistle and many more that i cant identify- but i have found a cheap, eco friendly weedkiller- Vinegar.

Tryed it on a sample group of weeds- it has worked best on the buttercup and dandelion.

Most successful weed- i will grant that to the dandelion- didnt think i had any (new plot) in feb/march now ive got loads. Im going to try making dandelion coffee
I LOVE OP AMPS!

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2005, 19:15:59 »
I was told by my old neighbour to put salt on dandelions, got rid of  few in my lawn donated by my unfriendly neighbour (the dandelions not the salt!!!)  I have also read about a book which lists all the dozens of things that vinegar is good for. I think my eldest daughter has got the book. Must ask her to lend it to me. Lorna

Clayhithe

• Acre
  • Easy does it
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2005, 19:42:22 »
Buttercups,  nettles,   grass.

We have a big piece of local authority land between us and the road.

The LA mows it once a year.

So my neighbour mowed it every week, and sprayed ALL the weeds out of it:  a huge patch of green,  close-mowed grass:  boring.

We were very sad when he died four weeks ago.   He was a bit irascible,  but a very good neighbour:  I liked him a lot.

Now I mow the grass weekly.

It's already covered in daisies and dandelions:  looks wonderful!
The little cranesbills are growing through and showing blue:  there's a lovely yellow vetch:  and several colourful things I don't recognise.

A silver lining?
I shall miss him,  though.

Our own sward (can't call it a lawn) has dozens of species in it and I'll gladly keep weeding them out of the veg patch just to see them in the grass.

Except the nettles. 
and the grass. 
and the d****d buttercups.
Good gardening!

John

selwyn-smith

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2005, 10:38:01 »
I have just been down to my lottie to water came home as it has started to pour with rain,  but while I was there another very very annoying best weed was making it's presence felt,and that is the Jerusalem artichoke, I thought I had dug all of it out ,(previous holder had used as  wind break.) I filled five dustbin sacks with the darn stuff, but it's back looking incredibly virile healthy and strong, and the only wind break facility it is offering.... well I expect you all know.
Katy
« Last Edit: May 19, 2005, 17:02:02 by selwyn-smith »

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2005, 15:28:47 »
mares tail.i think it stretches the length of lincolnshire from clairenpaul in the north to me 30 miles south >:(
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

supernan

• Half Acre
  • Chief mushroom compost digger, Bud
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2005, 08:10:14 »
Millions of Ash seedlings. But at least they are easy to pull up.

Granddaughter is coming over next weekend, thats a good pocket money earner for her. Price per seedling picked is coming down, have just checked plot, millions more up its been raining.
Supernan!!

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2005, 08:24:38 »
you'll be skint nan! ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

westsussexlottie

• Acre
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2005, 10:29:15 »
yarrow.

Loads of it. Grows very fast.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2005, 18:29:53 »
I also have loads of 'wild' Geums. Not a problem though as they are easy to pull up or move into a border.

Sometimes a 'weed' turns out to be something better. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal