Author Topic: Most sucessfull weed in your Garden/lottie this year.  (Read 11947 times)

Marianne

• Hectare
Re: Most sucessfull weed in your Garden/lottie this year.
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2005, 18:45:04 »
We only own a tiny garden and the most annoying weed seems to have been nettles.  Although they are very easily pulled up, roots and all, to grow even stronger.  We have lots of poppies but consider them to be "friendly" plants, so they stay wherever they grow as we both like them.

I can't wait to grow the seeds my good friends of A4A have sent us!  Also, applied for an allotment, but no news yet  :(
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

Travman

• Half Acre
  • Castleford, West Yorkshire anybody near me
    • castown fc
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2005, 20:16:28 »
In no particular order...
bindweed
bindweed
and more bindweed    :(

SueM

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2005, 20:18:03 »
My most problematic weeds are dandelions in the lawn, and hairy bittercress everywhere. The bittercress even seems to grow in the depths of winter, it seeds when 'indecently young' (as Christopher Lloyd says), and is so fiddly to pull up - if you leave it til it's a decent size it's seeded before you know where you are.

Sue

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2005, 11:28:32 »
at home it has been ground elder untill this year when a varigated mint took over got between 6 roses did look lovely if unreal. Lottie bineweed the pink and white one, wild poppies pop up but a creeping small leaf fleshy plant has grown so well over winter dont know what it is but easy to pull up and the hens at home love it so cannot complain realy.

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2005, 10:32:21 »
Andy, look at www. dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk   may be a good help.

Iain D

• Not So New ...
  • I do like to be beside the seaside - mostly!
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2005, 00:56:27 »
Hello all

I've come to this rather late but horsetail has been the worst thing since we moved in 4 years ago and pops up year after year.  Couch grass is also annoying - how does it always come up right in the middle of a prized plant? The most prolific though are hairy bittercress and chickweed both of which come up every year like cress!  Plantains in the lawn are a pain.  Also last year found a couple of infant nettles (where did they come from?) and a single bindweed which seems to have been an isolated incident I pray.

Cheers, Iain

nepeta

• Not So New ...
  • I love cats
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2005, 16:55:27 »
Ground Elder has spread through my back garden in the last couple of years, to the point where it is now invading the lawn despite my best efforts to pull it out on a regular basis.

Many years ago I planted a few violets in my front garden when my mum was moving house. There are now more violets in the lawn than in the borders!
Still, it looks pretty when they flower in the spring and at least it looks green from a distance the rest of the time ;D
Cats rule !

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2005, 17:30:28 »
Yes i am pretty tollerant of weeds in the lawn. I dont fuss ove it like some people. I will take out big broad leaved weeds like dandelions, but basicaly if its healthy and green i done worry too much,

The oly problem comes in a prolonged dry spell in summer. The grass tends to go the colour of straw, but the weeds stay stubbornly green!  ::)

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2005, 19:05:50 »
Dandelion, dandelion, dandelion - they are coming again all fresh and green and long rooted and I hate them - not just the smell but the myriad of wee  parachutes that home in on our lottie from every direction later in the year. 

Don't get me wrong we have our fair share of docks, marestail, etc but oh those dastardly dandelions!
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

faerie9

• Not So New ...
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2005, 22:38:01 »
Grass, grass and grass.

We have stinging nettles too but as they are a good companion plant I leave them in, or cut them for fertiliser.

There's lots of other random flowering weeds too whcih are the biggest pain, and thistles.... though as I am moving off my plot i will have to see what comes up once I have removed all the grass from the new patch.

Gardenantics

• Acre
    • Garden Antics
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2005, 17:45:22 »
I'm lucky not to have marestail in my own garden, but in one I look after it is a constant companion! I have noticed that in an area of the border where I put in a large drift of Astilbe, the marestail seems to be very weak and in part missing. Do any of you know if Astilbe give off any toxins into the soil that may explain this, Have you noticed this in your gardens?
Or did I do such a good job of getting the roots out when I planted the Astilbe that I cleared the Marestail! (ho ho ho!)

Brian

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2005, 00:02:03 »
Couch.Couch. ....... (edited by admin, but rest assured it was repeated allot)+

a little couch :'(
« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 15:45:07 by Admin aka Dan »

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2005, 07:52:04 »
Hi

Couch grass and odd patches of bindweed.

Marestail.
Does contaminate the site at one end hopefully
it won't move further down.
One old fella told me "it doesn't like its neck stretching!"
When questioned further he went on to say that he had
read that if you take the growing tips and gently pull without
breaking the stem it will kill the plant...he says it works.

I haven't any marestail so I can't vouch for any success.

I do realise that some of you may have a serious
infestation and 'stretching marestail necks' might
be a little time consuming... maybe worth a go though..
nothing to lose... could be very therapeutic

Happy stretching  ;)

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2005, 09:48:12 »
Ground elder!  I've cleared the bed so I can have a good go at it and blitzed it with
glyphos when it was in full leaf, then dug up the spagetti- like roots, waited until
more green showed then weed killed it again, then again.  Spring has arrived (well sort of)
and it's coming up again.  I've been advised to grup up the border and put it down to
lawn and the regular mowing should get rid of it.  I very much doubt it

Wardy

PS  what's happened to the page settings? Or is it just mine?
I came, I saw, I composted

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2005, 11:27:26 »
the merry tiller broke the board with his long ONE word ;) :D
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2005, 12:10:59 »
Ah I understand.  I thought my pc was on the blink  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2005, 11:15:59 »
My latest problem weed is now the native arum (not zantedescia sp?), otherwise known as lords and ladies i believe. It seems to seed all over the place and its deep corms and fragile stems make it v difficult to remove. The worst patch of it is amoungst my autumn raspberries.  I tried 'painting' some systemic weedkiller on the leaves, but this has done no good and if anything made them grow even stronger! It now seems to have colonised nearly every bed and border in the garden!

I know some people grow this plant, but i just want to get rid of it!!! >:(
« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 11:18:48 by Garden Cadet »

Deleted

• Half Acre
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2005, 15:09:45 »
Er... at this moment in time, all of them!!
Dawn

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2005, 15:31:13 »
i have a bane with bindweed at the moment. after having cleared the corner behind the rhubard of rubble and loads of broken glass, i dug that bit over to losen the soil and removed lots of bindweed roots. this was before the recent growth spurt.
last saturday, i saw two tiny shoots between the rhubarb - easily taken out. however, when i checked under my cloche to see how things were coming along, i noticed i had been cultivaing bindweed in one half :( fortunately, i hadnt sown anything there. not so fortunately, it took me over two hours to clear the roots which were attached to three tiny shoots!
so i will have be on the lookout for this stuff throughout the year. i feel though as if i have made much progress, after all, i must have removed about a mile of roots so there should be far less weed this year, right?

someone tell me i am right, please!

svea
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2005, 19:02:32 »
trouble is svea, every little bit of root you miss will potentialy grow into a new plant so the problem can get worse before it gets better. You really do need to keep on digging out roots as they grow. You will eventualy reduce the problem to a managable level!

So, anyone got any tips on getting rid of my arums? Please?  :-\

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal