Author Topic: planning  (Read 1182 times)

staris

• Acre
planning
« on: July 23, 2008, 23:13:13 »
i've recently got an allotment plot ( approx 90 feet by 40 feet) which i'm clearing ,it's all been cut down to ground level and i'm digging the whole plot over by hand removing as many of the roots and weeds as i can, i'm looking for some ideas as to the layout such as paths and were to put them, were to plant fruit bushes ,vegetables,  position of polytunnel ect.
are there any good books that will help me plan what goes were or any kind of software that anyone can recommend  ;D

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
Re: planning
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 08:43:01 »
I have a few books that are good.

Dr Hesseon's ones seem the best.

;)

Astronomy, Veggies & Beer

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 13:14:32 »
Plan - what's that??

I just fill in when something else comes out!!

Maidenheadtaff

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 15:02:12 »
I did have a plan with a spreadsheet in colour but then i planted broccoli and melon and they take up loads of space so my plan is going out of the window.
As Tim says plant away and just leave space as these things get big

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 15:45:01 »
If you are going for crop rotation it's worth ending up with 3-5 beds (usually 4) beds of the same size marked out.

Until you're clear, plant as you go  :), you'll have a better idea of what you want after even only one season. If you planning a tall structure, for instance a permanent runner bean bed, work out where it will cast its shadow.  Also don't forget to include a place where you can sit and admire your handiwork!

I planned mine on a spreadsheet and put the beds in straight away but gave myself such generous paths I now have potato bags on most of them spoiling the nice tidy lines that I planned ::).

« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 15:47:34 by Barnowl »

staris

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 23:08:58 »
i've ordered on of the books from amazon and will have a look at that, thanks everyone  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal