Author Topic: Preparing a new site on a shoestring  (Read 2581 times)

ageing_rock_chic

• Not So New ...
Preparing a new site on a shoestring
« on: June 30, 2008, 15:32:18 »
Hi
I am helpinmg a new allotment society group who have just aquired an acres of surplus council land that they want to turn into allotments. There is no money to get the plots prepared, so a JCB is out of the question. the land is currently overgrown grass/weeds. I thought maybe a community dig (with a barbecue event thrown in!) or something. Is it possible to clear land without a JCB/mechanical digger? Has anyone any suggestions or experiences they could share regarding land clearance?

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
Re: Preparing a new site on a shoestring
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 16:15:48 »
No help with land clearance a-r-c, but welcome anyway. I expect a few folk will be along shortly with an idea or two.
Just a thought, but if the land is divided up first, perhaps people could be responsible for their own (much smaller) patch. That wont seem half as daunting as clearing a whole acre.
Smile, it confuses people.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 16:30:14 »
Hiya

What about a hired strimmer (possibly one with a blade) for a day/weekend- a few chunky blokes then when the ground is within sight a huge ball of string and mark out plots wedkilling what is on the plots and leaving the other bit as pathways in between?

At least everyone then gets a clearish plot and they will all start equal!  Saves the rows for later!

Old Bird!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 16:45:43 »
hiya, ageing rock chic, welcome to the site  ;D

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 16:48:11 »
yes I rather agree with Old bird, divide it up first so that you can see where is where. A friend here claims that an old fashioned scythe cuts as quickly (and more economically!) than a strimmer and showed me, he was right :) But where to find a good scythe...
Surely everyone could chip in a couple of quid to hire a small rotovator? Just to do the parts that are laid out as actual allotments? I try to grow organic and I know I wouldn't appreciate weedkiller, maybe that should be taken into account?
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

ageing_rock_chic

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 22:20:14 »
Thanks everyone, I am glad I have joined this site. I am sure to have more questions for you as i go along :D

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 22:31:46 »
Welcome! Deffo agree with Emagggie's suggestion of dividing the into smaller plots  before tackling it. Most people starting out on a single allotment do a bit at a time, clearing and planting as they go - it's a lot less daunting than a huge great chunk of land.

Think of it like cake. If you divide it into smaller pieces, it seems like you're eating less...

or is that just me...?

;D
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 11:02:32 »
What is the state of the ground? Is it a field that's just full of weeds, or is it covered with rubble, or rubbish?  Are there any trees growing that will need to be removed?  Any ponds or watercourses?

If it's just a case of clearing weeds (even brambles), I'd go with the suggestion of dividing it up into plots and paths and letting plotholders tackle their own piece.

But if there's heavier work to be done, especially if it involves removing trees or rubble, then it would be better to do that first.  Otherwise you'll have the problem of removing bulky items through a maze of small paths.

Finally, whereabouts are you?  I'd be happy to bring a rotavator and a strimmer and do a days work if it's reasonably local.

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 18:34:09 »
I have only ever cleared one single ten rod plot!

If it is council land, why not ask Leisure services or whoever looks after parks and other allotments for a hand with clearing?  they generally have big mowers and strimmers/brush cuttters.

Failing that I would suggest a whip round to hire a couple of petrol strimmers, get the whole lot cut back, rake all of that up for the communal compost heap and then measure out the plots.  Maybe have a selection of sizes - mark them out and then the rest is up to the individual plotholder.

Good luck and remember there's no race ;D

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 19:28:22 »
What about marking out the paths first and clearing these.  This would then leave the distinctive boundary of each plot.  On allocating each plot,  the proud new owner could do their own clearing.  Possibly give people more of an incentive?

Ensure they are told to leave the paths as they would be for all plot holders to get around
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 19:45:21 »
just a thought, we've not long ago put up a communal polytunnel. It is split into individual 12' beds.
To stop arguments about the 'best' pieces of land inside, we drew names out of the hat, having numbered the plots before.
This is so nobody can moan about getting somewhere weedier than someone else  ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 21:20:54 »
Don't forget to make an accurate plan of the site somehow, with plot boundaries marked. That way you're prepared for the day when someone's accused of poaching.

staris

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 21:36:20 »
it would be fairly easy to clear the land if everyone is responsible for there own plot, i've just cleared a double size plot 300 square mtrs  without any power tools, i just used a machete and a sickle and the plot was covered with high nettles, brambles and raspberry's  :)

cliffe.kent

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2008, 11:27:05 »
We are doing up an in excess of 80 plot about 7/8 acres site so far it has cost £180.00  now have 54 plots taken and some more to clear. We did borrow a JCB for the weekend, it cost nothing and  a plotholder drove it with lots of tea and biscuits inside him.Have you asked your plotholders who they work for as some companies may help we also have a couple of local farmers only to  too pleased to help. It has been hard work but we also had fly tipping to get rid of and  bramles and  weeds head high. A new plotholder used a flail mower to cut down grass and site looks good. Parish Council now has fenced  site (6 feet steel palisade) at an incredible cost but necessary as the site has suffered abuse and broken in sheds so many times in the past.
So keep going and try to remember can't please all so expect some negativety.  The local authority helped  with advice as did the Allotment Regeneration Initative who visited and gave lots of helpful suggestions.
Finally get plotholders to come up with ideas and  if you get help, get as much publicity as you can as this is a good way of genarating even more help.

ageing_rock_chic

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 14:05:14 »
 ;D Thanks everyone  8)

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 14:11:19 »
How's it going? and we do like photos ;D ;D