Author Topic: Manure from cattle treated for worms  (Read 1375 times)

Kea

• Hectare
Manure from cattle treated for worms
« on: July 21, 2008, 12:17:09 »
recently our Town council thought they were being helpful and dumped lots of loads of manure on our site....(one on my allotment fence and globe artichokes as it happens). Anyway I moved the stuff off my fence, it's too fresh to use at the moment though some people have taken it and put it straight on their plots despite warnings from the rest of us!

Anyway while moving it I noticed that while it had ants , fungi and wood lice in it worms were conspicuously absent.
On Saturday I took delivery of a load of lovely well rotted horse manure from a local Sheltand pony rescue charity and the man delivering it looked at the other manure and I mentioned the lack of worms in it.
He said it happened quite often with cow manure as they are wormed regularly and the worming solution passes right through and persists killing off all worms for sometime including any that would normally compost the manure i.e. Brandling worms and if put on the soil earthworms as well.
So bad luck to those on my site who've rushed in and put that stuff all over their plots.

It does breakdown eventually but it would mean it takes longer for the manure to reach the right state.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Manure from cattle treated for worms
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 11:08:53 »
How long does it persist? Does anyone know?
 :-\

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 12:49:27 »
No i keep meaning to follow that up and find out but kids home for holidays.......!

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 13:11:29 »
It would be really good if someone could follow this up.  It seems to me to be another example of how the use of manure by amateur gardeners has been completely overlooked in drawing up the regulations for use.  Gardeners need worms in the soil and in manure but it seems we may be unwittingly killing them, or reducing the population.  Sheesh!  Can it get any worse?

Don't know which bit of DEFRA looks after this - don't think it's PSD.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 14:08:31 »
I have found this to start with so there looks like there could be a problem. http://ec.europa.eu/research/endocrine/pdf/eravmis.pdf
Seems it depends on the time of year and type of soil how quickly veterinary medicines degrad.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 14:24:11 »
http://publications.environment-agency.gov.uk/pdf/SP6-012-8-TR-e-p.pdf

Check out chapter 6 of this extensive paper from 2002.

Makes me feel very depressed.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal