Author Topic: Cost of living  (Read 1742 times)

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Cost of living
« on: July 19, 2008, 09:13:03 »
Wifes away for weekend so i went to Tesco's last night for our weekly shop. Could'nt believe the prices(i have'nt been since xmas). £2.15 for 6 free range eggs  90p for a small pot of cheese spread Prepacked cherries Should be £3.99 but half price to £1.99  box of cereal £2.50 is this all down to fuel prices or are Tesco's taking the p**s? I've bben selling our eggs for £1.60 a dozen price increase from today. Water rates just arrived an increase of £200 is this due to fuel prices or big buisness taking the p*ss. I could go on.......

JJane01

• Not So New ...
Re: Cost of living
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 09:35:59 »
I find it hard to believe that price increases are exclusively related to the cost of fuel, wheat, etc...  and as we're all being told prices are going up, heck, let's all just put them up  :'(  It's not just a Tesco thing.

No doubt at some point we'll be taxed on the cost of oxygen  shhhhh.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 09:37:05 »
Now don't you go slagging off Tesco's. They are advertising inflation busting prices on the telly. I wonder who put them up, so they could bring them down ???

Its about time they called a halt to those people who artificially inflate the price of oil by trading in commodities.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 09:47:54 »
I don't shop in Tescos but in another leading retailer... and am totally shocked when I sneak a look at the prices, of soft fruit in particular.  :o

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 09:48:57 »
There are companies who I am sure will just jump on the bandwagon.  For example: when fuel and transport costs go up - they see this as an opportunity to add a little extra over and above this rise to gain extra profit...... then blame all the increase on energy supplies whilst making more for themselves.  

If I had the land and the money - I would be getting myself a wind turbine ;D ;D
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 12:21:59 »
Tesco unveils profits of £2.55bn (Newspaper headlines)

Im so pleased i have shares lol
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 12:27:50 by Ishard »

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 12:31:29 »
Tesco unveils profits of £2.55bn (Newspaper headlines)

Im so pleased i have shares lol

Do you really? My shares in diamond mining & land mine manufacturing are doing brilliantly too! And I have some in a nice little company that employs kids in so-called "sweat shops". At least we're keeping them off the streets, eh?! ;)

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 14:54:42 »
Diesel is £1.32 at Sainsburys, but air and water are still free - so what are we complaining about ???  ???  ???  ???
The Tuscan Beaneater

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 15:34:35 »
It's a shame we can't get organised and boycott the supermarkets that make the most profit.
After all they are the ones that are overcharging us.

Need a Leek

• Half Acre
  • Villa Villan and a two Lottie Nut
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 16:29:23 »
I was in Tesco today and I had to pay almost £2.50 FOR 5Kg of spuds  :'( "lost our entire crop due to the manure problem". Like many the fuel and road tax increase is doing my swede in, I drive a 1.8T Rover 75 and the RFL will hike to £270 a year and our Ford Ka will also hike to £155 by 2010. We have been careful when choosing our cars that meet our family/ work needs by not buying juice guzzlers however the government still kicks you in the conkers...Where is all this additional green tax revenue going???...I will no longer vote labour and you know where you can put that big fat tax profit busting Havana Mr. Brown.

Rant over

Cheers
Tony " No not Blair" ;D

Villa villan and a two lottie nut...

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 00:07:15 »
but air and water are still free

Not round here, costs me 20p to put air in my tyres! ;D And you have to run really fast as the air runs out very quickly! ;) (now take off caps before putting money in!)
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 05:15:24 »
OllieC don't jump so fast :( I was being sarcastic.

I was pointing out how much profits Tesco got in 2007 when they are putting up the prices of food so much.

and as for sweat shops, every single country in the world has those including Britain with its illegal workers and you cannot guarantee that some of the clothes/shoes etc you have are not made in sweat shops.
Its a fact of life I'm afraid.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 05:38:11 by Ishard »

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 20:12:28 »
OllieC don't jump so fast :( I was being sarcastic.

I thought so - Me too!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 20:16:47 by OllieC »

JJane01

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 17:04:17 »
And that's why this website, and others in similar veins, are so popular.... people are switching on more and more to the fun of experimenting with trying to grow fruit and veg.  For myself it's currently something to supplement what we buy (we use an organic box scheme, which appeases us, although is quite expensive).

Interesting to see how these fiscal plans have all panned out... I can imagine the economy grinding to a halt, as everything will be so expensive people won't have the £££ to spend... and thus prices/cost of borrowing will have to drop to get the money wheels moving again.  Simplistic view, but let's see...

penwortham115

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 14:45:40 »
i shop at lidl it was   cheap but it aint now
they are all the sam but wait profits will be well down...millions
serves the greedy b******s  right

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal