Author Topic: Stick insects  (Read 1765 times)

outdoorgirl

• Not So New ...
Stick insects
« on: July 18, 2008, 15:09:35 »
My stick insects are over a year old and a couple of them have started losing there legs. It is really horrible to watch them try and move around and eat. Is this normal? Have I done something wrong? :-\

(.... I've just re-read my post and it sounds a bit daft but it is a genuine problem)

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
Re: Stick insects
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 15:40:29 »
The average lifespan for most species of stick insects is 1 year. Older stick insects require more water than younger ones and so the leaves need to be misted more thoroughly with water. If very old stick insects are short of water, they can start to discard legs, as you have observed. So you need to give them more water.

Other reasons for missing limbs are:

Overcrowding - the stick insects bite or knock off legs of other stick insects in their cage. Your stick insects should have plenty of room in their cage and this is especially important when they're moulting.

Fungal infection - if you suspect your stick insects have a fungal infection, thoroughly clean their cage and, if necessary, quarantine infected individuals.

Rough handling - stick insects are fragile and, like all animals, should be handled with care and respect.

Stick insects undergoing incomplete metamorphosis. It is possible for a young stick insect to regrow a lost limb but only when they moult again. This means that, if your stick insect is an adult, then it won't be able to regrow the lost limb.

outdoorgirl

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 21:48:50 »
Thanks for your advice. My sticks are old so I guess they need more water. There are only 4 insects to a very large tank and we don't handle them very much at all. I will give them more water. Thanks once again! :)

These are my second generation of insects as I kept a few eggs from the first lot. I even have a third generation ..... well just one insect! She wasn't planned. I clean my insects on the worktop and them spray the top clean afterwards. One egg must have fallen down the back of the worktop and several months later - 2 days before Christmas, I noticed a strange little bug on the wall. On closer inspection I was gobsmacked to discover a baby stick insect!!! I popped her into a jar with a few leaves and now she has her own tank. Her full name is Christmas Log  ;D but she's known as Christmas to her friends and family!! :D

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 22:07:32 »
Well I never thought I'd do this to a stick insect but........aw bless @ Christmas!  ;D
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal