Author Topic: allotments in salford  (Read 4153 times)

marky55555

• Not So New ...
allotments in salford
« on: July 12, 2008, 12:26:03 »
hi all only my second post so sorry in advance for any mistakes  ::) i am new to the allotment movement but after a great deal of thinking i have applied for an allotment in cadishead salford and been told that there is a long waiting list. so as i have been 'reading up' on the subject i have approached the council and asked what there plans are to solve this problem. the reply was things are in hand.
what i am asking is that any members from the salford area contact myself soas to get a group together to pressure the council into action.  the number of unused allotment sites in cadishead alone would make this areas list disappear and i would expect the same could be said of other areas of salford.
so any salford allotment holders or those on waiting lists please contact myself and lets get started  ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: allotments in salford
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 15:47:29 »
hiya, marky55555
welcome to the site  ;D
hope you get lots of support

marky55555

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 21:49:18 »
thanks for the welcome  ;D

marky55555

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 00:00:48 »
update - contacted local councillors and have been told allotments are in their minds and that rejuvenation of old plots/sites is under review  ::)

on a positive note - old site just 100 meters from me is top of list to be rejuvenated- just a matter of when.

local councillors are being very positive so i cant ask for more just yet  ;D

juliab

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 11:25:59 »
Hi

my first entry on this site, I have just put my name on the waiting list for Cleavely allotment which is in Winton, Eccles and there are 18 people in front of me! I support putting pressure on the council to sort it out, let me know what would help and what I could do.

I would be happy with half an allotment to begin with, they are quite big, may be we could set up a system if any one is struggling they can offer half out to some one from the waiting list?

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 11:41:05 »
I suppose that 18 people means an 18 year waiting list...thts of one person per year gives up his or her plot..... :(

Some alotments,ours for instance do not allow half plots.I dont know why,I never thought to ask.

Maybe you should ask the council about it like you say.

Good luck.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 11:44:23 »
depends how far you are willing to travel.... there are a number of allotment sites in Urmston/Flixton. Our has about 6/7 on the waiting list.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 13:14:55 »
Our effective waiting list, ignoring people who can't be contacted, is about 20, and the waiting time is around a year. That'll vary according to the circumstances of the particular site.

marky55555

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 13:59:27 »
here in manchester i think you have to be a resident to get an allotment but at least we have got the ball rolling here in salford

olicat

• Quarter Acre
  • my back garden veg plot..
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 23:34:44 »
My allotment assc have given 2 of us a starter  1/4 plot... its not huge, but big enough. lets more people get started on allotmenteering!!!
It's the Good Life!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal