Author Topic: butterfly plant?  (Read 1409 times)

debster

• Hectare
butterfly plant?
« on: July 20, 2008, 20:42:21 »
my daughter gave me a plant that she said was called a butterfly plant it has dark red butterfly shaped leaves and has pale pink flowers what i want to know is it is getting a little on the large side, i repotted it recently and now its just gone mad, does anyone know if i can split it into smaller plants. just as a matter of interest when i repotted it the roots looked like cooked prawns pink and fat lol

valmarg

• Hectare
Re: butterfly plant?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 22:13:53 »
Oh dear, off the top of my head it seems like schizanthus.  I think it's an annual.

Shall have to go look in my books ;D ;D.

valmarg

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 22:24:19 »
Oxalis triangularis? 

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 07:45:02 »
Every one of those 'cooked pink prawns' will make another plant. We have a large purple one which resides inside of the house, it is admired by everybody, so I do loads of baby plants as gifts. I shake it out of its pot, crop some 'prawns' then shove it back in.
I find that taking all the flower stalks off once a week makes the foliage a lot thicker and make a better house plant. I also re-pot once a year to freshen the compost and where I chuck the old stuff in the garden the plant comes up in the summer.

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 11:01:42 »
definatly oxalis trilangus i think i will give it a good split down when i come back from my holiday and maybe rehome some of the babies on here it is a beautiful plant and very easy to look after

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal