Author Topic: tomatoes no  (Read 1322 times)

Maidenheadtaff

• Half Acre
tomatoes no
« on: July 22, 2008, 13:10:20 »
Still no tomatoes apart from one every other day.All i'm getting is brocken branches from the wind and am trying to replant those in pots but they don't look all that well.

Anyone having success with their toms, its going to be autumn by the time we can pick them.
Strange thing is i have had half a dozen cucumbers so far and they don't seem to have a problem at all

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: tomatoes no
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 14:24:53 »
Are they outdoors? I've got a few green toms on one, but they're way behind. My cucs, also outdoors, have half a dozen flowers between them, but they're all female so I can't even hand-pollinate them.

Maidenheadtaff

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 14:57:48 »
Yes all out doors. I reverted to put one back in the greenhouse to warm it up and have high hopes the it will give my first real fruit

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 17:43:40 »
I've finally got a couple of flowers on the one outdoors.
The one in the greenhouse has none, it's got lots more foliage though.

STEVEB

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 19:42:38 »
patience..my were doing nothing,went to lottie today and fruit forming all over.
If it ain't broke don't fix it !!

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 19:44:53 »
I dont waste my time with growing tomatoes outdoors.Did it a couple of times but always ended up with poor results.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 20:39:48 »
I've had good results twice, and crap once. This year is on the way to being crap again, but we'll see. It's not too late.

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 08:43:47 »
I have loads outside but their "Sungolds" and are really good if the weather gets a bit chilly.

Astronomy, Veggies & Beer

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 12:50:50 »
mmmm I guess I have the advantage of the warmer continental weather! But my outdoor toms are doing well, I am hoping to pick the first ripe ones next time I go down. Lots of green fruit and more flowers forming.
I grew many cool climate varieties and that seems to have worked a treat. The Marmande look especially nice, quite crinkly and wide.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 22:26:00 »
My toms that are in pots in a coldframe have lots of green fruit but the same variety in pots outside are only just flowering  ;)

floraldi

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 17:49:04 »
I have been eating them off the plant today (Sweet Olive). They were very ripe but the skin seemed tough.  I have decided I am not very good at growing tomatoes but I do like to have home grown ones. The main problem is that I have grown so many - all in a small greenhouse, but there are even three outside in tubs and a few of those were ripe. Our weather has not been as warm as down South either. Perhaps mine have done better because I might have been feeding them more than recommended - and maybe that's why the skins are a bit tough ::). Still a good taste though.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal