Author Topic: Can anybody recommend a £150'ish rotavator  (Read 3907 times)

heyho

• Not So New ...
Can anybody recommend a £150'ish rotavator
« on: July 18, 2008, 14:20:20 »
Just had one of those things called a birthday and was given a bit of money. Thought I might put it towards a rotavator (maximum spend of around £150). Just had a look on ebay and there are a few new 4bhp ones and a few second hand 6bhp machines.

Anybody got any experience with a rotavator in this price range and would they recommend one?

p.s. ok the purist amongst you might scoff at the use of a rotavator but it is to save a lot of time as I am finding it hard to keep the plot maintained. It has already been gone over with a commercial rotavator then dug over to remove as many weeds as possible so I just want one for maintenance purposes.

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
Re: Can anybody recommend a £150'ish rotavator
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 00:29:57 »
I don't think you are going to get a really workman like new machine for £150, those that are that price will probably only scratch the top (as they say in Norfolk "Blacking it over"). Small tillers are usually only for a maximum 3" depth. Secondhand machines could be found at this price but you would need to hunt around.

I have heard good reports of two light machines but they are roughly twice that price.

Firstly: The Mantis, available as 2 stroke, 4 stroke and electric. I have just purchased the electric version which I find very satisfactory. I have heavy clay soil so I have to dig it over first but the Mantis breaks it down into a fine tilth easily (when the moisture is right). It tills 23mm wide and 25mm deep. I chose the electric model as it is lighter and cheaper than the 4stroke model (I don't like 2 strokes, too temperamental), you get over an hours work for 1 unit of electricity (5% vat on electricity as against 17.5% vat plus Road Fuel Tax on petrol).

Secondly: Honda FG110, I have heard good reports of this machine but no personal experience. Available as 2 stroke and 4 stroke versions.

Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 09:50:01 »
Heyho,
         I bought my 'Mountefield' 1973 vintage rotovator off e-bay last year for £150, a few tips on buying off e-bay if it is advertised that it needs a bit of TLC more than likely it will need a service to get it running properly which was in my case, also stick to your budget you get alot of silly bidding, there is a chap on their that advertises quite often over in Cambridgeshire and his Rotovators go for alot of money well over the top when you could go and buy new, if you click on e-bay and rather than go to auction click onto the 'Buy it Now' when the price for the rotovator will be shown, it fact I will have a look on there now and see what is on offer ;) 

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 09:55:24 »
Heyho,
            Just had a look on e-bay and already I have seen a couple of clean looking rotovators for £150 that will do a job :)

heyho

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 16:27:31 »
Cheers Mr Smith - will keep an eye on ebay

heyho

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 11:59:07 »
I've seen these advertised regularly on ebay for about £150

4.0HP, 118CC, 4-stroke single-cyclinder industrial OHV engine
2 forward speed
Cultivating depth up to 120mm
Cultivating width up to 360mm.

Anybody got any expereince using one. Any good?

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 09:55:00 »
A couple of guys on our plots have similar machines...They are quite light so tend to move  about a bit but once you get used to em they should do the Job ...
Please read FEEDBACK on Ebay especially the NEGATIVE ones..  :-\

Cheers .. Jim

windygale

• Acre
  • http://spaces.msn.com/windyspot/
    • www.rushall.org.uk
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 18:26:35 »
hey ho, read my text, "what is a good rotavator" as i have a al-ko mh350, http://www.amazon.co.uk/ALKO-MH350-4-Cultivator/dp/B000KFY5Y2 
just like the picture you posted, and i'm having problems,
windy ;D
my allotment
heaven

heyho

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 08:03:56 »
Well I decided to splash out and buy a Mantis at £200 off Fleabay.

I must say I am very impressed with the results. Certainly would not think it is the answer to someone just getting a new plot (as mine was) but once it has been dug over (and in my case also rotovated a few months ago with a commerical rotovator) then it is an ideal tool to keep the plot maintained. I had a test run with it the other night and it 'processed' an area of 13ft x 30ft in around 40 minutes leaving the soil nicely broken up. Reckon a few more 'going overs' and the soil will be in excellent condition. There was still a lot of work to do to prepare the ground first, like getting down on all fours and clearing the mountain of weeds.

I am not averse to digging by the way but have found that I am struggling with time especially beings a 'dads taxi'!!! so something like this is really gloing to be useful.

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 18:38:55 »
Well done, Heyho.

Have a look at my comments about these.
http://www.erowell.co.uk
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 19:26:58 »
If you live anywhere in the Durham area there is a good Honda going for £120.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal