Author Topic: Bacon Sandwiches  (Read 6048 times)

glosterwomble

• Hectare
  • Gloucester - The South West
    • Fork it...a Gloucester allotment
Re: Bacon Sandwiches
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2008, 01:02:56 »
Sheese I cant believe you are fretting about washing up one frying pan or grill pan !!! ;D... It takes seconds to wash up my frying pan in hot water and fairy liquid!!!

Duke
No way not in the MW ???...a fry pan or on my griddle/ hotplate...Lightly toasted bread with butter bacon brie mayo " egg free mayo now for me as I developed an allergy to them  :(" cranberry sauce and a few twists of black pepper.

Well worth a couple of minutes washing the pots.

Cheers
Tony

I agree sometimes we have to accept that to do thing properly takes a minute longer, maybe a fraction more effort and one frying pan doesn't take 2 mins to wash does it? Cutting corners isn't always the answer. We always seem to be in a rush these days don't we, always looking for the easy way out, sometimes I like the act of cooking and preparing things, I'll make a pot of tea with loose tea just because it takes a few minutes longer and I really enjoy it for that reason. I say don't let these so called celeb chefs tell us how to do it, enjoy life, it's not all about cutting corners or 'CHEATING' (Delia!) sometimes the ceremony of taking a few more minutes for your loved ones and family can make you feel better about life ..... or we can just shove it in a white box for 30 seconds and wait for it to go BING!!  I know which I would rather!  ;D
View my blog on returning a totally
 overgrown plot in Gloucester
 into a productive allotment ... http://fork-in-hell.blogspot.com/

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2008, 18:42:38 »
I do know what you mean, Womble. I too love cooking, or I wouldn't be here?
I like the m/w way because:
1. It does the job almost as well as the best.
2. I don't find frying as good, unless one uses several tbs of oil to get even cooking. The oil has to be disposed of - & is wasted. And then the bacon is oily. And 'the Girls' say I'm always frying & they don't want to smell of fat. And the splashes!! Even with 'dry cure'.
3. Baking is quite good, but it needs watching carefully - through some 8 minutes. And is better on a rack.
4. Grilling, to me, is the best 'other way'. Even cooking & nicely crisp where needed. But careful watching.

I'm not looking to cut corners, but to acknowledge the possibilities of another method. And our drains block too easily with too much fat in them. And we pay for our water, & to soften it. Even 2 mins of it!!

Tea? Yes - if you have a routine in your house. I couldn't keep up with the random consumption of it here. And sure as hell, I'd break the pot! And rinsing out leaves?

Yes - we have a lovely griddle, but when the bacon curls up, the fat is not in contact.

No - I'm not in a rush & I don't fret - except in my dreams when all is a disaster!!

Good to talk??

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2008, 18:56:15 »
I have never fancied microwaving but am always open to tried and tested ideas.  For me the bacon has to be lightly grilled and served on English breakfast muffins to arrive at perfection.

Tim, I have to say I love your contributions here. Can you imagine if you compiled all the pics and info into a book? When you do, I will be first on your customer list if only to look at the lovely images and enjoy the love, care and respect of the way you present your food, we would make a good team you and I  ;D

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2008, 19:35:43 »
What a Girl!!

Muffins? Or Crumpets - well browned.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2008, 19:56:07 »
George Forman grills a lovely piece of bacon. Those fretting :D about washing or cleaning a GF I have a good way  ;D  PM me and I can will give ya the secret  ;).

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2008, 20:03:30 »
Keep talking. Keeps one out of the Pub??

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2008, 20:31:07 »
I am 100% behind you Tim,the microwave is an invention which frightens people. It takes a skill to use them properly.

For most people the microwave is fine for warming up a tin of baked beans, then what?

There is little or no knowledge about the thing

It is not an oven
It is not a grill
It is not a steamer

It is a microwave.

The skill to use one does not enter into any of the TV shows that show us how to cook on a conventional hob/oven (that is all they do)

We need a TV programme devoted to the microwave.

Other than Lesley Walters (Ready Steady Cook, who makes meringues in them) They seem to be regarded as the devil's invention.

These TV Chefs cook in restaurants serving 80+ people a sitting and to do the turn over they need to use the old fashioned multi ringed gas hob and a conventional oven.

Most of us cook for 4 at the most on a daily basis, often these 4 arrive for meals at different times.

Cooking for one, the microwave offers speedy results. We need help to show us how to use them for their best purpose.

I think we should all bombard the TV companies who keep giving us cookery  programmes and demand that they show us all how to cook proper meals with a microwave.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2008, 20:34:54 »
I am not against pubs Tim

I drink at home. It costs less and it is nearer to my bed.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2008, 21:40:00 »
I think I might try one - a bacon sandwich that is, not a microwave! Got a microwave already 8) 8) 8). It's over 20 years old. :o :o

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2008, 21:47:13 »
Grawrc~ they dont make em like that anymore  :( not much is built to last these days!!

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2008, 22:21:57 »
I do know what you mean, Womble. I too love cooking, or I wouldn't be here?
I like the m/w way because:
1. It does the job almost as well as the best.
2. I don't find frying as good, unless one uses several tbs of oil to get even cooking. The oil has to be disposed of - & is wasted. And then the bacon is oily. And 'the Girls' say I'm always frying & they don't want to smell of fat. And the splashes!! Even with 'dry cure'.
3. Baking is quite good, but it needs watching carefully - through some 8 minutes. And is better on a rack.
4. Grilling, to me, is the best 'other way'. Even cooking & nicely crisp where needed. But careful watching.

I'm not looking to cut corners, but to acknowledge the possibilities of another method. And our drains block too easily with too much fat in them. And we pay for our water, & to soften it. Even 2 mins of it!!

Tea? Yes - if you have a routine in your house. I couldn't keep up with the random consumption of it here. And sure as hell, I'd break the pot! And rinsing out leaves?

Yes - we have a lovely griddle, but when the bacon curls up, the fat is not in contact.

No - I'm not in a rush & I don't fret - except in my dreams when all is a disaster!!

Good to talk??

it certainly is good to talk and all the sentiments, methods, lifestyles etc mentioned here are all about having open minds, ready to try, all about life in the guise of a bacon sarnie  ;D

life would be difficult without them  :) thanks Tim

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2008, 09:19:54 »
Amazing the depths that a Buttie can plumb?

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2008, 11:55:14 »
All of life is here! ;)

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2008, 13:40:31 »
The best - or at least, the most welcome - was in Birmingham, when I had driven up at 4am in the winter, to take a test in Picture Framing. Early because I just had to be there & don't normally drive beyond the local village. Especially at night.

The test was critical to my livelyhood. Having been teaching framing & conservation for 20 years, had I failed, I would not have been able to continue!!

I sat in the driveway of the test place, enjoying my purchase from a van on the nearest roundabout, watching the staff coming in to work. With trepidation.

Thanks to the Buttie, we got letters (Guild Commended Framer) after our name!!

THE MASTER

• Half Acre
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2008, 02:22:25 »
bacon done on a bbq is in another world
 :P
the frying pan can also go on the bbq for the ultimate fryed egg
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 02:25:11 by THE MASTER »
HE WHO DARES WINS !!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal