Author Topic: Stag horn Beetles  (Read 4989 times)

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
Stag horn Beetles
« on: August 07, 2004, 17:48:31 »
I know they are in this area...just down the road, so to lure them in my garden I need some logs. Anyone know where I can get a variety of different tree logs from? :)
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

Spurdie

• Acre
Re:Stag horn Beetles
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2004, 18:05:02 »
Hi Val  ;D
Can't you persuade your lovely hubby to join you in a romantic walk in a nearby forest? And then help you carry some nice rotten logs back to the car?  ;)
I'm afraid I don't know much about staghorn beetles - they sound fearsome! We have big black beetles about an inch long up hear which we call "horny gollachs". I believe their correct name is "goliath beetle". Whenever you upend a flower pot or lift a plant's skirts to mow under, there they are!

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2004, 18:14:48 »
 ;D We did think of it, but I don't know the diffference in the types of wood, oak, beech, etc. Staghorn beetles like old rotting wood in fact I think they need it for their young or something. They are quite awesome to see and big.

Plocket

• Hectare
  • Clematis Crystal Fountain
    • Plocket's Clematis Site
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2004, 14:03:59 »
Are staghorn beetles the same as stag beetles? Haven't seen a stag beetle for years.

As for the logs, can't you contact a tree surgeon or someone like that, rather than removing logs from the forest where insects etc. might already have set up home.

Sorry Spurdie, I'm not preaching or anything.
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2004, 14:07:58 »
 ;DYes a tree surgeon might be a good idea, as I said we did think of picking up debris, but would a tree surgeon have different types?

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2004, 14:21:51 »
Do not take logs from the wild - you will be disturbing the wild habitat. Logs are often left on purpose to provide homes for insects.

Look in yellow pages under 'logs' - there are loads in my local area anyway! Or check out your neighbourhood for skips, ask neighbours, etc if they are having any work done on their trees - that's how I got my logs.
gone to pot :D

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2004, 16:30:49 »
 ;DThanks Aquilega I'll try that.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2004, 18:43:16 »
Next time you see a tree surgeon at work stop and chat to them. A friend of mine is a tree surgeon and the logs that are not suitable for sale get chipped. They will more than likely be happy to give you some logs and often they are in the know of what wildlife likes best.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Len

• Quarter Acre
  • Len
    • International Allotments
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2004, 20:04:30 »
Try this link but I think it is a matter of luckhttp://www.ptes.org/BAPs/stag_beetles.htm It seems the grubs live for years and the adults just a short time. Lifes a b****

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2004, 11:45:44 »
 ;DOh  thanks Len, its a great help, at least I know what type of wood I'm looking for now, my daughter had them in her garden, just a few streets away but she's moved now so I'm trying to lure them here, or at least their offspring.I'm going to add it to favorites.

Spurdie

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2004, 19:02:27 »
 ;) ;) ;) Oh dear! Some people are taking me seriously!!! ;) ;) ;)

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2004, 15:44:01 »
 ;DWell not me Spurdie, I feel I know you to well. I was going to leave a message for you but  I've caught you here now. I heard on the news you've all been really hit bad with the rain, wondered if you were okay and the garden isn't to flooded. Do you have a lottie? I can't remember, hope you dry out soon. ;D 8)

Spurdie

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2004, 18:33:27 »
 :D Hi Val, nice to hear from you!
Don't worry about us being flooded - we've had hardly any rain here! We had rain last night and the day before, but not during the day at all! It's been perfect gardening weather APART FROM THE MIDGES! I hope you weren't flooded!
Butterflies are out in force today - large whites, tortoiseshells, meadow browns, brown argus(s), small blues and one I have never seen before: small, bright orange top half with spots, lower half brown with an orange frill at the bottom, body a lovely iridescent (is that how you spell it?!?) blue. Any ideas?

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2004, 17:06:04 »
 ;DHi Spurdie, I've been off the board and computer for a while, glad you escaped the last rain, please tell me you have this lot to.

Spurdie

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2004, 15:01:46 »
Hi Val  ;D
Snap! I haven't been able to find A-4-A for a week or so - maybe my computer is playing up!
We've had torrential rain here for the past few days. On Wednesday we had the most fantastic lightning storm I've ever seen (or heard!). It's just a pity it was from 12.30 am to 5 am. I can honestly say I've never seen such a storm in all my life! The thunder was making the whole house shake and the lightning lit up all the hillsides. We got practically no sleep whatsoever that night, and everybody we met the next day said the same.
We're too high up to be affected by flooding, luckily! Feel very sorry for the residents of the village in Cornwall that was almost destroyed altogether.  How is your part of the world faring?
However, to look on the bright side, at least my wellies are fashionable again!  ;)

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2004, 18:24:42 »
 ;DWell thank goodness, we've seen air lifts from Scotland as well ,Stirling I think. There was a landslide and cars were caught along a road, in fact I think it was 2 landslides, but it all looked quite nasty, as with the Cornwall village. We've been okay here, just heavy showers and sunshine, too hot for wellies to wet for much else, grass is now growing as I speak, poor mower will be worn out. :P

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal