Author Topic: Maggots on Broad Bean  (Read 2795 times)

sean82uk

Maggots on Broad Bean
« on: July 11, 2008, 08:50:12 »
I’m a beginner to growing vegetables so excuse my ignorance. For the first time this year we are growing tons of veg in tubs.

Yesterday we spotted two small maggots in one of our broad bean plants; one in the soil beneath the plant and one trying to burrow into the end of the biggest pod which was unfortunately fully grown and just ripe for picking. Also, there are some small holes in some of the leaves. Is this black fly? (we did remove the top 3-inches which seems to be the prevalent advice as to that pest).

Luckily our main-crop is a few weeks behind this plant effected so we have a early warning. Any advice? I’ve seen some people recommending spraying with washing-up liquid etc etc.

Thanks in advance.

PS
This seems a decent place. I will stick around for any advice and tips which I'm sure I will need.

betula

• Hectare
Re: Maggots on Broad Bean
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 08:54:02 »
Welcome to A4A,my broad beans are covered in Black Fly .I understand thatdilute washing up liquid can help get rid of these varmits,going to try it myself.

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 08:54:50 »
Welcome sean82uk.  Best place for advice, comfort, inspiration and banter - a good idea to stick around.
twinkletoes

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 12:30:29 »
I would ignore the maggot in the ground for the time being.

If beans are big enough to eat why are you not eating them instead of leaving them for the wildlife?

Sundry holes and notches in the leaves are more of a nuisance rather than a problem and can usually be ignored. Focus all your thoughts to picking and eating the beans.

sean82uk

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 17:59:00 »
I actually went to pick it that day when I spotted the problem.

I made up a spray of washing-up liquid and garlic and it seems to be working. The plants themselves are looking a bit manky however (brown patches and so forth).

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 18:01:29 »
hiya, sean82uk, welcome to the mad house  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal