Author Topic: runner beans  (Read 1120 times)

bajmoe

• Not So New ...
runner beans
« on: July 13, 2008, 08:20:50 »
i sowed my first runner beans the 1st week in June about 20 seeds, 2 per cane just in case,  (2in) deep and (9in) apart rows 18in apart,  it's now 13th July and nothing, the seeds where new,  it's not snails and there's no signs it was mice, something has gone wrong, do i give up on them?

how long normally is germination?

Bajmoe
"I think that little by little I'll be able to solve my own problems and survive."

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: runner beans
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 09:12:48 »
Germination is normally 7-14 days so I'd think it's unlikely they'll grow now. Have a feel about and see if they're still there and if so in what state. At least that way you may learn something for next season.

jordsbabe

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 09:38:10 »
I had the same sort of problem, although out of about 30 i did get about 12 but they are very slow to climb the pole! I bought new seeds from a supermarket. When i examined the ones left i noticed some were cracked. I should've checked them before planting them, oh well you live and learn!

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 12:17:20 »
Sometimes in dry weather, the slugs get to the germinating seeds and eat the shoot before it appears.
Possibly you have sown them in soil that is too dry.
I had to resow about 50% of mine this year and none in the last two years.

The 3rd to the 17th of June was very dry, with shoowers on 4 days totalling 5.5mm
which is not enough to penetrate the soil.

The 2nd of June was wet (5mm in one day) and they probably germinated and then dried out.

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments_Vegetables_Beans_Runner.html

STEVEB

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 22:21:11 »
prior to planting soak them in a bucket if they float it generally means there duff
If it ain't broke don't fix it !!

KathrynH

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 22:36:14 »
Both slugs and mice can be sneaky so it could be either without you knowing. Having had the same problem in the past, I now sow mine in pots and then plant out when they are a few inches high. The slugs still have a go at them but at least once they are established they have a fighting chance.

bajmoe

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 08:04:40 »
OK I've had a sneaky look under one of the canes and found the beans are still alive about 13 mm big or should i say little, they where soaked before i covered them with soil and where watered well every day during that dry period, maybe i should have said i also sowed french and dwarf beans the same way the next day and they are about 20 cm tall now, so there still alive but something seems to have stunted there growth?

I've now soaked the remaining beans just to check and they never floated.

Bajmoe

"You don't need to outdo the competition. It's expensive and defensive. Under do your competition. We need more simplicity and clarity."
"I think that little by little I'll be able to solve my own problems and survive."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal