Author Topic: Caterpillars on Chilli Plants  (Read 8462 times)

redradish

• Not So New ...
    • Radish Patch blog
Caterpillars on Chilli Plants
« on: July 12, 2008, 10:34:49 »
Sorry if this has already been asked somewhere in the forum (I'm sure it must have been but couldn't seem to find it when I had a quick look). I have a greenhouse full of chilli plants, and I keep finding strange little brown caterpillars. Not exactly overrun with them (yet) but I have a feeling I will be if nothing is done quickly. I don't think I had this problem at all last year, and they don't seem to be attacking any chilli/tomato plants that are outside next to the greenhouse.

Just wondered if anyone else has (or has had) this problem, or has any suggestions how to deal with it. I've picked off a few when I've spotted them (too squeamish to squish them so flick them over the hedge instead) but I'm sure there are lots I won't see. I've also tried spraying the plants with water and a tiny amount of washing up liquid, which seems to kill off green aphid things but don't know if it has any affect on the caterpillars.

They're little brown caterpillars that are wider at the head end than the tail end, and seem to spend a lot of time sitting perfectly still on the leaves with their tails pointed upright like a column (like some kind of insect yoga) or doing frenzied wriggling.

Any help or suggestions gratefully received!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Caterpillars on Chilli Plants
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 10:55:34 »
Look for eggs - easier to squish those than the 'pillars?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 16:37:13 »
they're not ladybird larvae, are they, they're wierd  ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 18:43:36 »
Now that's a good point.

Should have recognised that Caterpillars don't usually wave their tails about!!

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 19:13:44 »
Does it look this? This is a ladybird larvae ;)

I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

redradish

• Not So New ...
    • Radish Patch blog
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 12:41:30 »
They don't seem to be ladybird larvae (mores the pity - that might solve my aphid problems!) They're sort of brown and don't have legs like an insect. I'm very sure they're some kind of caterpillar from their appearance. I just went outside and found 2 more sitting on top of the first chilli plant I looked at, and have taken a couple of pictures to give some idea. But have no idea how to get the photos on here in a post (if someone could please tell me how I'll gladly post the pics here).

It might be their heads they stick up in the air, rather than their tails. But either way they're not pleasant looking when they wriggle and thresh around wildly for no obvious reason. Yeuch.

Good suggestion about the eggs Tim, thanks. Had a quick look last night and did find what seemed to be some eggs clustered as a pale green patch under a leaf, which I tried to squish but they seemed dry and granular and just rolled off and fell into the soil, so I'll have to make sure I use something to catch them when I do it again.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 14:14:08 »
I have been finding caterpillars in my greenhouse too.  Mine have been eating the tomato plant leaves and fruit.  They are especially fond of Black Trifele.  I was about to post a picture when I came across this thread.  Are yours the same as these redradish?  I have never seen caterpillars on tomatoes before.  Does anyone recognise these please? 

Sally A

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 14:20:47 »
I've had small caterpillars on my chilis and peppers too, they walk with a distinctive loopy movement, and sometimes stand on their back legs and stretch up and wiggle.

I think they are a moths doing, sorry would have taken pics but I evicted them.

Saying that, last year my outdoor peppers had small caterpillars living in them (Bleurgh!)

redradish

• Not So New ...
    • Radish Patch blog
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 15:36:54 »
Dunno if this will work, but after a bit of poking around in the forum, I might have worked out how to get a photo on here. Fingers crossed..

These are the little darlings that seem to be enjoying my beloved chilli plants. Anyone recognise them?

Sally A

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 16:40:50 »
Yep, that's the blighters, I can't name them but they are the same that were on my capsicums.

and Pauline...those try and get on my tomatoes every year >:(  The eggs are laid in batches of about 28, again I think it's a moth.

The best way to find them is to look for fresh poo on leaves and look above.  Also if it's sunny, and you get down low, you can often see the shadows of the little darlin's on the leaves.

Sally A

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 23:21:42 »
oops did a bit more searching on them, are they hoverfly larvae? in which case they are on our side.  Luckily I never squidged mine, just flicked them off, but strange that they wre so close to nibbled capsicum leaves.

redradish

• Not So New ...
    • Radish Patch blog
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 07:20:32 »
Oooh.. They do look a lot like some of the pictures you get when you search on hoverfly larvae, don't they? Thanks for that Sally A. I do hope you're right, though I feel really guilty now for picking them off (but relieved that I didn't squish them). I might leave any more I find for a few days and keep an eye on the aphid population and the damage to leaves to see if they're 'friendly' after all.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal