Author Topic: Green Manures  (Read 1613 times)

springs

• Half Acre
Green Manures
« on: July 10, 2008, 23:27:41 »

Any one grown any green manure, I would be interested to hear your comments.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Green Manures
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 09:04:34 »
we've only used phacelia, works well but there was a discussion on here, maybe search would throw some light on the subject  ;D

SteveJ

• Half Acre
  • Perth, Scotland
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 09:59:14 »
I used to use a mixture of hungarian grazing rye and tares, but the rye is quite difficult to dig in.  This year I'm going for Tares mainly, and trying out some Phacelia.

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 15:45:21 »
I started using green manures two years ago...Phacelia during the season and Field beans. Hungarian Rye over winter. 

The soil has certainly improved and I am truly converted...I have even managed to convince some of my allotment neighbours to give them a go
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 20:56:40 »
I'm using Phacelia for the second year - it really brings the bees and hover flies into the lottie.  I've also used Alfalfa (currently in flower and I think about to be dug in) and buckwheat, which is very pretty and delicate - the bees like that too.  I've also got some rye, which looks pretty and is supposed to do fabulous things to the soil structure ... jury is still out on that one.  My neighbour has tonnes of red clover, rye and mustard - his soil is fabulous compared to mine.

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 07:56:59 »
I have considered green manure which looks ok when growing, the problem is that when I have dug one of my raised beds, I love the neat, pristine look of the freshly dug soil.

The prospect of seeing bits of green sticking out offends my sense of orderliness.

I will however have a go. Can it be grown at any time, for example, now, after my early potatoes and onions, and how long do I leave it?

Let me know and I will photograph the progress and build a web page. I may even fill different beds with different types to compare them.

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments1_homepage.html

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 09:02:42 »
You can always cut it off and take to the compost bin... it still prevents leaching over winter.... and as long as the compost gets back on the beds later...  ;D

lincolnlad

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 09:22:50 »
WHAT IS THE BEST GREEN MANURE TO USE OVER WINTER TO SPRING ANY ADVICE IS WELCOME THANK YOU. CHEERS LINCOLNLAD
happy weeding cheers buster

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 09:27:59 »
We have most success with vetch...
 :-\

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 10:28:21 »
I left some phacelia in as the flowers are so lovely. It's now going to seed- should I dig it up or leave it in? Don't want it to take over!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal