Author Topic: Got my garlic in the post - its a bit squishy though  (Read 3560 times)

shaolin101

• Half Acre
    • Kungfu and Fitness in London
Got my garlic in the post - its a bit squishy though
« on: September 26, 2008, 11:38:12 »
Hi All,

I received my garlic bulbs in the post recently and i cant believe how much bigger they are compared to my ASDA weekly purchases (and how much stronger tehy smell!)

I take it they need to wait until November before planting but a couple of cloves on one bulb are really soft. Am i supposed to separate the cloves and store them? Or should i leave them in case i strip off some of the skin etc.

Just worry they will go mouldy over the next month.

Ps - they are just in a dark cupboard in the kitchen - stinking the place out.

Could they be put in an airtight container or do they need to breath?

Thanks
Liam
Keep getting worried that the stuff I grow will taste nasty - or turn out poisonous!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: Got my garlic in the post - its a bit squishy though
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 11:44:55 »
If some of the cloves are soft, they are starting to rot and will spread to the whole bulb if you let it. I would let the company you purchased them from know and ask for a replacement. In the meantime, unless they ask you to return the bulbs I would split the soft cloves off at once and store the rest of the bulb in a cool dry dark place (not sure your kitchen is the best place!) until ready to plant out, you might be lucky and get some plantable cloves out of it.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 11:47:17 »
Hi liam
if they are going bad i would ring your supplyer,
but you need to take of the squishy ones in the hope they dont al go bad
lbb
you said that so much better than me deb lol
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 11:49:08 by littlebabybird »

shaolin101

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 12:31:32 »
Thanks,

I will prise them away - have informed the shop so will wait to see what they say too.

Was mail order so probably the wonders of Royal Mail!
Keep getting worried that the stuff I grow will taste nasty - or turn out poisonous!

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 12:39:45 »
where did they come from?

izzywizz

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 13:17:44 »
Send them back you derserve good products .Bad ones never give you a good return and could spread to the others.Don't accept poor  standards.If they want your buisness they should sort you out.Last year got mine from the garlic farm isle of wight but found them too expensive this year so tried suttons they arrived yesterday after only ordering them at the beginning of the month.Good size solid bulbs. ;)

shaolin101

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 13:57:45 »
They were from thompson and morgan. i have been in touch with them so will see what they say.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 14:11:22 »
I agree with the others ask for a replacement batch.

Meanwhile separate the good from the bad to prevent contamination ( which might already be there) hence my saying; get replacement stock.

These are mine saved from last year. They have just been hung up in the greenhouse since I lifted them earlier this year.

Give them plenty of air do not coddle them, in fact that might be the problem with the ones you have received, these may well have been stored in too warm and humid conditions.

shaolin101

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 15:41:24 »
Thanks for the advice.

Credit to T&M - fast reply saying to dispose of the bad delivery and they will send me a replacement. Wasn't an issue to them at all.

Will need to find somewhere to store them though - they smell really strong. Hopefully its just the mush though and the non damaged one is ok.

Hate waiting to plant things - just want to get them in the ground now!

Should i keep them as bulbs for now and only split into cloves at the time of planting?

Also, if there are any tiddlers that are not worth planting can i just eat them or are they like treated onion sets?

Thanks - again!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 17:31:05 »
Hate waiting to plant things - just want to get them in the ground now!

There is no reason why you can't plant them out now if the bed is well prepared.

They will only grow in their own time.

I plan on getting mine in within the next couple of weeks!

Also, if there are any tiddlers that are not worth planting can i just eat them or are they like treated onion sets?

Not worth planting ....eat them!!

Should i keep them as bulbs for now and only split into cloves at the time of planting?

If you do any of the above then the question is answered, if not keep the bulbs complete until ready to plant.

Will need to find somewhere to store them

Stick them out in the greenhouse/garage/shed anywhere but in the house!!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 19:14:43 »
If you plant a tiddly clove you get a tiddly bulb, but it still tastes good. I'd plant them the first year, when you've probably only got a few bulbs. Then save the biggest cloves from the entire crop for planting next year. No need to keep them any longer, just put them in.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal