Author Topic: Soft cucumbers  (Read 1391 times)

SteveJ

• Half Acre
  • Perth, Scotland
Soft cucumbers
« on: July 09, 2008, 09:29:11 »
Morning all!

I am growing cucs (Burpless Tasty) for the first time this year and am getting some really good results. 

The problem is that once harvested they only remain firm for a day before going all soft and floppy.  Is there anything I can do to retain their firmness once picked?, or is this a particular characterisitic of this type of cucumber.

I cannot leave them on the plant longer as I do not want them to get too large or tough, and also to encourage further fruiting.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
Re: Soft cucumbers
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 09:33:44 »
That is a tempting question to ask a GP like me.

I am tempted to prescribe the obvious.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 09:48:46 »
I think you will have a queue of people with floppy cucumbers AAL ;D

How do you store them?

Do you think you leave them on the plant long enough?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 10:49:08 »
mine aren't so bad if I cut them in half and put in the salad drawer in a bag..I've heard you can cut half off and leave the rest on the plant  :o

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 11:02:35 »
I've not had this problem with Burpless but I leave them on the plant until they are full-size.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 11:19:48 »
1. Don't keep them in a real 'chill' tray. Too cold.

2. Wrap in clingfilm, as they do commercially? Although, strangely, that is usually only done for imported cus.

SteveJ

• Half Acre
  • Perth, Scotland
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 14:14:26 »
Thanks for the replies, they are being harvested at what I think is the correct size 10-12", any that I have left to grow larger than this have a tougher skin so not quite as pleasant eating.

Thanks Manics & Tim I will try wrapping in clingfilm/plastic bags.  I hadn't thought they could be too cold in the fridge so will store higher up - if that does not work I'll be back to AllAboutLiverpool for some of those little blue pills.

Thanks again

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 18:27:29 »
Hi there, I dont know if you have a Lakeland store near you (they do have an online site). They sell green bags that are treated with a special type of clay that keep veg fresh for much longer than anything else Ive ever tried...they are called Stay Fresh Longer bags  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal