Author Topic: veg tart ? anyone  (Read 2436 times)

daileg

• Hectare
veg tart ? anyone
« on: July 07, 2008, 17:45:29 »
has anyone got a veg tart recipe worth trying as im not a veggie but under the current news that produce will go up by another five percent meat has gone through the roof so
im thinking i have a plot its time to use this to its full potentiall so im looking for veg recipes that realy make a meat eater like my self not worry

so my question is if your a vegaterian and have the best recipe ever i want to hear about it as im a former chef and keen to try anything once

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: veg tart ? anyone
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 17:52:00 »
made a couple of fab courgette quiches last week, got a glut of them   ;D
only fried courgettes with onions, put in the quiche case, sprinkled some strong cheese over, poured the egg mix on, cooked and ate half, frozen 2 1/2  :)
good, 'specially if you have your own hens

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 18:27:36 »
That sounds delicious Mal. Doing it tommorrow I think. :P
Smile, it confuses people.

Squashman

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 19:26:21 »
Here's a recipe for "Butternut Tart"
Shortcrust pastry                                      Line a flan case with the pastry, prick the base. Seal the flan
1 Med chopped onion                               case in a hot oven. Cut the Squash into quarters, slice and
Mixture of seasonal veg diced                  and boil until tender, then mash. Cook the onion in the oil,
Mustard seed                                            add the diced veg, cook for further 5 mins, add the squash
Breadcrumbs                                             and season. Add the mustard seed, place the mixture into the
1 Butternut Squash                                   flan case, smooth top and sprinkle with cheese and
Oil                                                              breadcrumbs mixed together. cook until firm and brown on top
Salt Pepper
Grated Edam Cheese

I have many other recipes for Squash:  West Indian Butternut, Chilean Squash etc.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 19:55:10 »
We have one veggie in our house and the rest hate it if I serve up veggie food, except for this recipe - real comfort food, good for this horrible weather.

Shepherdess Pie

2 teaspoons sunflower oil
1 leek finely chopped
1 small courgette diced
1 carrot diced
1 garlic clove crushed
4 oz mushrooms sliced
2oz red lentils
2oz green lentils
7oz can chopped tomatoes
¾ pint water
1 bay leaf
½ teaspoon dried marjoram
½ teaspoon dried thyme
1½ tablespoons brown sauce
7oz can baked beans
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

For the topping:
2lb potatoes
5-6 tablespoons skimmed milk
1oz low-fat vegetarian cheddar cheese grated

Heat the oil and gently fry the leek, courgette, carrot, garlic and mushrooms for 10minutes, covered until soft.

Add the lentils, tomatoes, water and herbs and bring the mixture to the boil.  Then reduce the heat, partially cover, and simmer for 30 minutes or until the lentils are soft and the mixture is thick.  Stir in the brown sauce and baked beans and cook for a further 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, place the potatoes in a pan of salted water, bring to the boil and simmer for about 20 minutes until tender.  Drain and mash with the milk and seasoning.

Remove the bay leaf from the lentil mixture and spoon into a large ovenproof dish.  Pile the potato on top and fork over.  Sprinkle over the grated cheese.

Bake in the oven Gas mark 6/200°C for 15-20 minutes or until the potato is crispy.  Serve immediately.

Another that they will tolerate is a vegetable 'toad' in the hole, just replacing the sausages with a pan full of part cooked vegetables.

Enjoy...

T.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 20:00:10 »
That sounds delicious Mal. Doing it tommorrow I think. :P
got to think of something for all the courgettes, only me likes them raw but Ray'll eat them stir fried or in a quiche  ;D

Tinkie_Bear

• Acre
  • D'oh !!
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 11:17:57 »
I make a good veg pie with whatever comes out of the garden, a packet of cheese sauce and a pastry / mash top.

Cook all the veg until just about done.  Fry an onion, some garlic and a chilli, make cheese sause as per packet instructions, mix together, season, put topping on and then put in the oven until top cooked - don't need to worry about the inside as this is already cooked. 

Last time there was new spuds, broad beans, spinach, peas, onions, garlic, chilli, sugar snap peas & leek in there - yummy and very easy.

Helen x

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 12:16:00 »
This is making me so hungry! Only got to cook 'meaty' thing tomorrow as BW is out every other night this week  ;D. I am going to have a super duper veg tart tonight, and I will saute the left over spuds to go with it  :P
Smile, it confuses people.

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 13:27:25 »
well when i started this i was looking for ideas and this is exactly what i was looking for thanks to everyone for replying keep them comming maybe ill write a ccok book with all the ideas 

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 09:32:47 »
I have a nice recipe from Australia that I think quite substitutes meat although it can be eaten as a garnish too. With a bit of green salad this would fill me up.

In a casserole dish (I use a pyrex), butter it well then place layers of any veg you have lying around - it's a good way to use up small amounts of veg especially root veg:
potatoes, parsnips, pumpkin, carrots, finely shredded cabbage or chard, celery or celeriac, courgettes etc etc, season as you go.
Then I top it with a layer of thinly sliced onion, tomatoes and grated cheese. In the holes on the top, pour through a little single cream or milk if you can't eat cream, about quarter of a cup.
Now either in a mdoerate oven for about 45 mins (poke a knife through to test)
or
Get to the tomato layer, leave out the cheese, and microwave it covered for about 25 minutes. Then bung on cheese and under grill.
I call it a vegetable bake.

Also saw a nice recipe for swiss chard:
pastry base (shortcrust or puff) lining your tin, then you boil up the chard (green and white) in salty water and drain it really really well. In the pie casing with finely diced onions, salt pepper, minced garlic. On the top you sprinkle a thick layer of Parmesan (But I think any hard strong cheese would do) and if the fancy takes you, crack 3 or 4 whole eggs over the top. Carefully cover with a pastry topping, tucking in the edges, bake for 30-40 minutes at 180 until golden brown. I expect you would eat that not too hot with a garden salad. The eggs would make it a good protein rich dish for a veggie.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 13:32:49 »
I love French Onion Tart especially with the first onion harvest,
Broccoli and blue cheese with pine nuts
broccoli & Brie with Pine nuts
Broccoli in a red peeper & almond sauce (Vegan, no eggs,cheese or cream)
Cauliflower & Stilton
CauliflowerCheddar cheese & Walnuts
Sweetcorn with Chili
Courgette & Sweetcorn
Herby Courgette Crumble
Leek & Goats cheese
Double Cheese & Leek
Courgettes with spicy lentil Flan (Vegan,Lentil is sort of a dhal)
Greek Spinach Filo
Moroccan Filo Pie (more substantial than the Greek Filo)

Sorry to go on so! but if any one is interested in any of the above recipes I am more than happy to email

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 13:47:07 »
I would love your Herby Courgette Crumble recipe, I am hoping that I am going to have a glut.... my poor plants are still looking sad at the moment!

Thanks,

T.

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 14:23:49 »
Tulipa pm me with your email address

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal