Author Topic: Well pleased  (Read 2307 times)

jo9919

Well pleased
« on: July 01, 2008, 22:05:02 »
For tea tonight I had my own new potatoes and carrots. YES, carrots, the things I couldn't grow for love nor money last year.

This year, I let my nine year old daughter loose with the carrot seed (Parmex) and a container, and Hey Presto, carrots for tea  ;D Daughter and Son even ate some, and they don't like carrots.

Jo.

jordsbabe

• Half Acre
Re: Well pleased
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 22:05:39 »
That's brilliant well done!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 22:15:21 »
makes a difference, letting them get involved, even got my 9 yr old grandson to try eating nasturtium flowers  ;D

jo9919

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 22:27:42 »
I must confess, my kids are one of the main reasons that i've started growing my own.

OK, so i'm only growing in containers in the back garden and I don't get huge amounts of anything I grow, but my son is such a fussy eater (he's 13, I thought he would have grown out of it by now  ::)), that I will do anything to get him to eat.

The first things that I started growing (two years ago) were tomato's and I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw him picking cherry tomato's off the plant and popping them straight into his mouth.

Since then, I've started growing a wider variety of veg, and we've (as a family) got alot greener. We now compost, and we're very aware of recycling. We've found freecycle and passed on lots of things which would otherwise have gone to the tip, we reuse things which we never would have done before and we know exactly what should go in which bin  ;D

I'm also really aware of the animal and insect world since I've been gardening. I hated any sort of insect before I started gardening, but now I'm trying to encourage them (well, the good ones) into the garden.

It's absolutely amazing how one hobby can actually change your whole lifestyle isn't it?

Jo.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 17:55:12 »
Wish I'd got my plot whenmy kids were younger. They are happy enought o eat what I grow but not the least bit interested in getting their hands dirty!

jo9919

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 19:45:10 »
Wish I'd got my plot whenmy kids were younger. They are happy enought o eat what I grow but not the least bit interested in getting their hands dirty!

Yes, my son's getting a bit like that now (he's 13). My 9 year old daughter is alot more interested in getting involved.

Jo.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 19:52:10 »
My kids are good eaters with their veg as it is.  But they do tend to eat more if they pull it from the ground ;)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

jo9919

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 22:28:35 »
Yes, I'm finding this too.

Jo.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 12:43:59 »
Yes I agree with that too! Mine are good veg eaters anyway but they seem especially pleased with the things we have grown and comment on the different flavours - not always favorably, mind! But at least I know they can appreciate that things can change in flavour, from one variety to the next.  Of course they love especially the strawberries and raspberries and fresh peas!
My little on (7) has a plot with her own flowers etc and she loves messing around in it and picking the flowers for us, I let her do what she wants in it and it keeps her busy when I am gardening.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

jo9919

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 23:40:55 »
I can't wait to get a lottie so that I can make a special bed for the kids to grow what they want.

Hopefully they'll eat more veg then  ::)

Jo.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal